kathyo

May 24, 2011
Farmers Branch, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Help! My CYA is off the chart also. I filled my Taylor K-2005 CYA test only 1/2" when the dot disappeared. Took sample to Leslie's pools on Sun and got reading of 100 (the highest their test goes). I've had my pool 7 years. Drained, acid washed & refilled 11/2008 due to high calcium. How can the CYA have gotten so high so soon? I'm using Chlortabs from Leslie's pool which have stablizer in them. I shocked the pool Sunday & then again on Monday and the chlorine reading today was 0. Is draining the only way? If so, how much do I need to drain? And...how do I avoid having the CYA rise so quickly again? I just found your site today (yea) and haven't had a chance to read everything (there is so much).

Test results:
FC - 0
pH -7.2
TA - 130
CH - I got 40 on Sunday @ Leslie's, but just did a Taylor test @ home & it never turned blue even after adding a lot of reagent.
CYA - off chart

I'm headed to Leslie's again for another test. I don't trust them, but want another reading on that CH.

Thanks - I'm in a panic about it. :(

Welcome to TFP. Don't panic! We'll help.

There are only two ways to reliably lower CYA. R/O treatment and water replacement. R/O isn't available everywhere so you have to search for it in your area.

The first thing you need to do is get your FC up.

Thanks - After reading more in this site I've decided to switch to liquid bleach. I'll go to Wal-Mart and get some. I went to Leslie's and got tested again. The #s were wildly different from the ones they gave me last Friday when I brought a sample. I don't know if it is really varying so much, or that they don't know what they are doing. I will try to get the FC up first. Can I live with the CYA so high? If I have to drain & refill, I'd prefer to do it in fall when it is cooler. We're already hitting 90 here in Dallas.

Test 05/20/11 05/20/11 05/24/11 05/24/11
Home Leslie's Home Leslie's
FC 2.5 5 0 2
TC 2.5 0 2
CH 40 280
CYA 100 > 100 40
TA 140 140 130 80
pH 7.2 7.3 7.2 7.2
TDS 850
Phos. 0 300

Since you have a K2005 I'd trust that a lot more than the pool store.

Run your own tests and use those numbers. Pool store numbers have proven to be highly suspect.

It's extremely difficult to operate with CYA that high. Keep in mind that it could be much higher than 100. Take a sample of pool water and mix it with an equal part of tap water and test the CYA again, then multiply the result by 2. Let us know what you get.

I used half tap & half pool water. The Taylor tube stops #s at 100 for the CYA test. I couldn't see the dot at about the halfway up to 100. Since the #s are not evenly spaced (there is a big gap between 30-40, but a tiny gap between 90-100), I don't know what the real number is. All I can tell is that it is way above 100 - and I haven't even multiplied it by 2!

If you used half & half and it still didn't get to 100 then it's above 200.

I hate to say it but you're either going to have to drain and refill or find a reverse osmosis company to filter your water. You can do a google search for R/O companies in your area and see if there are any.

That's what I was afraid of. I'll rent a pump tomorrow and get started. At least now I've found a site where I can learn how to properly take care of the pool without relying on the "experts" who just try to sell me stuff. thanks!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.