NorCal Man Cave

Apr 23, 2011
First of all, i have to say that this is a great site that you guys at TFP having going on here! I learned a lot about safety, asthetics, and construction here.

After reading and researching for a few months now, I think Im ready to jump in. I Just designed what I think my outdoor kitchen will look like using Google sketch, and i'm pretty happy with the look of everything.

I bought a FireMagic Echelon 660i with matching dual side burner, fridge, and 3 sets of doors to match. Got it out the door at BBQGalore for $6k (talked them down from $8k), unfortunately it has been sitting my garage for the last 9months collecting dust.

I started somewhat last year removing a huge planter box, laid some concrete, put up a pergola, ran electrical, water and 1" gas line from that I T'd off my pool heater line. I increased the pipe from 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 to allow for spa, fireplace, and some grilling to happen all at once since it's a fairly long run 70ft for gas :)

So here are my first pass the dimensions and layout, it's pretty much to scale, I live in California so backyards are fairly small. Let me know your thoughts. I'll post more pics as I progress.

My first question is how to handle the 1.5" slope. I've reading folks using Trex, Trex+ leveling feet, go with the slope.etc. I think i want it level, b/c when i'm in the pool I will see it is off and it will bug me. I figure it will be 36" on one end and 37 1/2 on the other to compensate for the slope. I'll be using multiple TREX pieces with composite shims for the middle. Sound right?

Also I see that some folks don't put backer board underneath, is that a personal preference, or dees it have some structual relevance. Thanks again!!

Attachments

• pergola_lowres.jpg
    pergola_lowres.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 2,222
  • backview_lowres.jpg
    backview_lowres.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 2,215
  • outdoorkitchen_rev1_low res.jpg
    outdoorkitchen_rev1_low res.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 2,214
Wow, looks great however I would suggest putting some sort of solid cover so that you can enjoy when it is raining.

Brentr said:
Wow, looks great however I would suggest putting some sort of solid cover so that you can enjoy when it is raining.

Thanks Brentr, i have a 80% sunscreen doubled up that i bought from Lowes, it works great to allow for some light and if it rains it keeps it somewhat to a minimum. Fully covered patios in Cali requires a permit and I wanted to be able to remove the shade if needed.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    156.7 KB · Views: 2,236
After coming to the realization that I just don't have the time to get this darn thing started with metal framing (My Son started to think it was a jungle gym. ) and hardy backer board etc, with only 1 day a week available to me. I returned everything back to Home Depot (After 18months) :-D
I stumbled upon some precast concrete building blocks from Eldorado Stone while looking at some veneer stone for my pool. They were 25% off and I needed their fireplace because permanent fireplaces in my area require it to be 24" from the fence line which would seriously cut into my dinning space. This "portable fireplace" will be 1" from the fence giving me back precious real-estate. I bought 16’ of concrete cabinets for $2k and had them up in a few hours. Took longer to uncrate the Dang things!
Got some pavers put in the last year, and now focusing on my pool remodel, but i'll post some more pics up when i really start cranking on this!!

It still need a lot of custom work done to the kitchen, e.g. back splash, bar, lighting, but for now, I feel like I can now get started and not worried about my kids getting into my work and hurting themselves doing the other way.

[attachment=2:3n4vf789]5-16-2012 12-38-10 AM.jpg[/attachment:3n4vf789]
[attachment=1:3n4vf789]5-16-2012 1-04-30 AM.jpg[/attachment:3n4vf789]
[attachment=0:3n4vf789]5-16-2012 12-29-57 AM.jpg[/attachment:3n4vf789]

Attachments

• 5-16-2012 12-38-10 AM.jpg
    5-16-2012 12-38-10 AM.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 1,633
  • 5-16-2012 1-04-30 AM.jpg
    5-16-2012 1-04-30 AM.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 1,632
  • 5-16-2012 12-29-57 AM.jpg
    5-16-2012 12-29-57 AM.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 1,633
Here's a pic of my son now helping me level it. He's says "Thanks dad build buying me my new tunnels" :-D .These things are freaking solid, took me a while to cut out 1 of the doors, but I figured out a way to make perfect shims using my table saw and trex board, cutting it long ways on the edge of the trex gives me perfect lengths and height I need. I'll post more pics as I wrap up the pool and paving work.
[attachment=0:3kk64jhz]5-16-2012 1-05-20 AM.jpg[/attachment:3kk64jhz]

Attachments

• 5-16-2012 1-05-20 AM.jpg
    5-16-2012 1-05-20 AM.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 1,624
I'd thought I'd share my progress for 2013, it's been slow because I work on it about 2-3 times a month during the weekends and we had a baby in between. I'm finally finishing up after 3 years of planning and chugging away. I finally see the light at the end of the tunnel. :party: :cheers:[attachment=2:1nslh6bs]7.JPG[/attachment:1nslh6bs][attachment=1:1nslh6bs]8.PNG[/attachment:1nslh6bs][attachment=0:1nslh6bs]6.JPG[/attachment:1nslh6bs]

Attachments

• 7.JPG
    7.JPG
    151 KB · Views: 1,051
  • 8.PNG
    8.PNG
    399.4 KB · Views: 1,056
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    102.1 KB · Views: 1,050
Here's some more of my outdoor kitchen build.[attachment=2:3nbxwizd]2.JPG[/attachment:3nbxwizd][attachment=1:3nbxwizd]3.JPG[/attachment:3nbxwizd][attachment=0:3nbxwizd]4.JPG[/attachment:3nbxwizd]

Attachments

• 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    148 KB · Views: 1,038
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    146.2 KB · Views: 1,034
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    137.8 KB · Views: 979

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks Guys! Yeah not rushing really helps me think of more stuff to add into the build. After the years with family and friends come by and say..."you know what you should add out here" :-D

For example, I added this cool little battery grill igniter for my fireplace. You turn on the gas and hit the button behind the fireplace and bam..you have fire. Didn't want to spend the $$ for a remote lighting system and didn't want to burn my hairs off my arms with a lighter. This was a good compromise that cost about $20.[attachment=2:2exuetl1]10.JPG[/attachment:2exuetl1][attachment=1:2exuetl1]12.JPG[/attachment:2exuetl1]

Also hanging the cast concrete crown molding...these things way about 40lbs each. Was a little worried with the provided brackets since they were not long enough and feared it may fall on someone, so I bought some heavy gauge galvanized brackets, epoxied and screwed (concrete screws) them into the crown so I can have piece of mind I won't have a lawsuit on my hands one day. They are also glued to the face of the cinder block using the Simpson Strong Tie anchoring epoxy. I have some 4x4 pressure treated wood blocks cemented in the top of the square holes of the cinder blocks to provide a place to screw into. once everything is in place, I'll put some flashing on top to keep it from the elements.[attachment=0:2exuetl1]11.JPG[/attachment:2exuetl1]

Attachments

• 10.JPG
    10.JPG
    100.4 KB · Views: 980
  • 12.JPG
    12.JPG
    141.2 KB · Views: 975
  • 11.JPG
    11.JPG
    130.7 KB · Views: 974
Thought I'd update you on some of my progress. I think I'll finish this year :). Finally got the Kitchen part done (needed it for my daughters 1st Bday party). Got carried away and spent a lot of time hooking up and hiding all my cabling for my Definitive Tech outdoor speakers, sub woofer and PZT security Cam on the Pergola. Just got to work on the final stretch for the Fireplace.

Backsplash Tiling

TV Insert

Night shot

Granite Install

AV Cabinet ( I ran USB, Ethernet, HDMI, and 3.5mm phono jack to a box next to the counter top)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.