Hayward Heater AO error

May 26, 2009
Eatontown, NJ
Hi,

I am getting an AO error on a friends Hayward Gas heater.

The heater blower vacuum switch (rss-495-061) seems to work when I suck very lightly on it (when I do this the error instantly goes away) There is not any noticibly suction coming from the fitting on the blower (fan). The fitting is clear since I can easily blow and suck with my mouth, but yet when the blow fan is on I don't notice any suction.

The fan motor spin so i feel the motor is good. In my experience if a motor is running slow it will burn out. The squirrel cage spins very easily when off. The motor is quit when running.

This tells me its either the vacuum switch or the motor.

TIA

I pulled the motor from the housing and had no suction at the hose fitting mounted on the motor. I could blow air with my mouth in the fitting and there was "0" restriction.

Someone told me this motor should really spin and make a decent amount of noise, a desk fan has much more air flow than this squirrel cage motor.

It turned out to be the Motor. This was for a friend and they called a pool company and they determined right away that it was a bad motor. I didn't want to take the chance since the measly motor was around $200 or more and didn't want to steer a friend wrong.

Suck on the vacuum switch switch to see if the error goes away. I replaced the switch since that was only like $25 dollars but that didn't help.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.