Have started getting bubbles out of returns

Oct 15, 2010
Last night, every time I'd have the pump on, after a few mins of operation I would get air bubbles coming out of both returns. I checked the pressure on the filter and noticed it was high so I used the orange release valve to relieve some of the pressure and a whole heck of a lot of air came out. It took just over a minute for water to come out of the release valve instead of air. This system is brand new and a brand new IG pool.

In addition, I noticed last night that a tone of water was draining down the skimmer and you could hear it just pouring into and down the skimmer. The water level at the time was halfway up the skimmer. This afternoon it looks like I've lost almost 2 inches of water but don't see any visible leaks anywhere.

Pool guy is coming this week. He mentioned something about a possible air leak. What should I check or be aware of before he comes? It's disappointing to say the least as we were all excited about the pool.

Thanks

Skimmer basket lid is pretty common. Mine was leaking from the bottom of the skimmer basket housing, where there's a drain or plug or whatever you want to call it. Sounds like you are full enough at the skimmer, but I am confused that you hear water draining there if it's that full.

I see the skimmer basket plug you speak of. Not sure if that's where there may be a leak. The sound of water draining down the skimmer was a surprise to me too but it was veer noticeable and only occurs when the pump/filter is on.

RobbieH said:
Skimmer basket lid is pretty common. Mine was leaking from the bottom of the skimmer basket housing, where there's a drain or plug or whatever you want to call it. Sounds like you are full enough at the skimmer, but I am confused that you hear water draining there if it's that full.

We just installed our pool this year so my experience is limited, but if you have a cartridge filter, when is the last time you cleaned your filter? The filter catches a lot of debris from the initial pool installation as well as when you vaccum. We begin getting bubbles from the solar air relief valves on our system about the same time the filter gets dirty. 30psi is the magic number for us. We had a big party for the kids this weekend with about 30 kids in & out all day and that was enough to require filter cleaning.

Whoa there slow down for one second. You said this is a new pool and you note that it's a salt water pool. You do know that the process of making chlorine from salt generates bubbles right? Maybe it's just the CO2.

Just one additional edit, I'm not saying that is the cause of your water loss.....just realize bubbles alone don't necessarily mean an issue.

By your response, I understand that you have a cartridge filter. We just shut off the pump to clean ours. Your filter should have come with instructions on how to remove and reinstall the filter(s). It will probably be obviously simple to you. Our SWG automatically stops when there's no flow, so there's no risk there with it still powered according to Pentair. If you are unsure about yours, (as I was the first time I cleaned ours) contact the mfg or simply flip the breaker off. Like I said, I'm a new pool owner myself, but we've had a spa for about 6 years now and pools and spas seem very similar to me when it comes to maintenence. A pool just seems to be more water and you can't easily drain & refill if you mess up the water. Cleaning or even checking the filter if free and should be done periodically anyway. Best of luck.

Thanks for the replies everyone. Turns out the plug below my skimmer basket was loose causing me to lose water and because the water level was low, too much air was getting into the system.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.