Having 7 position multi valve isses, please help...

May 23, 2011
I was having water leaking out the backwash hose when the valve was set to filter. Not knowing what the issue was i took the 6 - 8 bolts out of the top to have a look and even removed the pin, handle and spring. I then noticed that my "spider" gasket looked worn. I put everything back together and stored for the winter. This past weekend i stopped by my pool store and bought a new spider gasket and lube, went home and replaced the gasket. However when i bolted the assembly on it seems to compress the spring (the handle is completely loose), as if there is no room inside for the spring and valve to lift and turn. There is still water coming from the backwash. Could i have put something back together wrong or are some gaskets thicker than others? As i loosen the bolts the handle seems to go back into place, very confused right now, please help. I need to know whether to buy another multi-valve unit or if mine is fixable. Is it possible that i put the spring and assembly on wrong.

Also if i do need to buy a new one are they universal? i currently have a proline sand filter but the multi-valve does not appear to have a model number that i can tell.

Chris

I just replaced my Hayward variflow valve internals with a prebuilt assembly that I dropped right in after unbolting the top.
I didint have to replace the spider gasket though.

Did you check to see if you can find an exploded breakdown drawing? I know that not all the parts are universal- the top mount valve of the variflow has different part numbers for some internal parts then the side mount.

I've been trying to find the exploded drawing but no luck so far, any suggestions where to find.

When i replaced the spider gasket, my old one came out fairly easy, did not tear or anything. I pushed the new one place without much of an issue either. I don't recall if the gasket was completely pressed all the way into the groves but it was at least 95% pressed in. I was thinking that when i bolted it on that it would fix the last 5%. I realize that if the gasket was not seated properly it could cause the leak out the backwash hose but i am a more concerned at this point in that there is no adjustment in the handle. By that i mean the handle is completely loose, if it is turned to a setting of say filter, the handle does not spring back up to sit in the notch to hold it in place as if the variflow valve has no room to move up and down and is always in the up position.

When i had it apart i did notice that the handle and spring would get stuck when i pushed the handle down so i lubed the shaft and that fixed the issue.

I will try and take it all apart again to see if everything looks good, i can take some pictures as well. Does anyone have any pictures of what is should look like in the way of handle direction to varivalve direction?

Thanks again for all the help,

Chris

Are you sure that there were no items or debris blockung the inlets or outlets on the valve? We had the handle-lever stick this spring and found that there was some debris stuck on the backwash outlet that prevented the valve from fully closing

Ok, i took the multivalve off again and took it to my local pool store. What i did find out is this is not a Proline part it is a Waterways 7 position multi-valve unit. What they couldn't tell me is what was wrong. After leaving the store and thinking about it i think i might have narrowed down at least part of the issue. It appears that the handles rounded knobs on the bottom that as you press the handle down is what is touching and pivots on may be worn down. I also noticed that the units in the store had what appears to be a nylon ring for it to pivot on probably to keep it from wearing down, well mine is missing. I was able to find some temporary rubber gaskets that i have used instead of nylon and the handle is much improved and siting more like it should.

After finding that is was a Waterways unit i was able to find the exploded view: http://www.poolpartsonline.com/p-84300- ... parts.aspx

I am going to order a new handle and o-ring kit that comes with washer, hopefully it is the washer i need and see how things go.

Thanks for all the help,

Chris

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.