Pool is still cloudy.....

No cover this year, lots of leaves, and dark swampy green at the start a few weeks ago. We did get the last of the leaves out I think (hard to tell with it being cloudy but my husband has been getting in and scooping out....he also brushed the bottom and sides of the pool, and washing the filter) The water is blueish but cloudy. It's so cloudy that it even looks cloudy in the small cup of water I bring in to test!

Numbers today are:

7.5 FC
1.5 CC
70 TA
70 CH
45 CYA (per pool store...I'm out of this chemical to test...but we did add quite a bit last year because it was so low)
7.9 (per the pool store a week ago. I tested it today at about 7.2, we had a few thunderstorms and a ton of rain since they tested so I'm thinking mine is closer to correct)

What should my shock level be with a CYA in that range? We've put a ton of bleach in at this point....

Thanks!

thanks for the replies.......

Ok so I've been trying to get to shock level but having trouble....(and going through large containers of bleach like crazy)

Last night it said 0- FC, so in the pool calculator it said I needed to add approx 4- 182 oz. jugs of bleach to reach FC level of 20 ...that sounded low so I added 8. This morning.... FC is 1.5.....CC is .5

Pool water "looks" blue but is cloudy. Cannot see to the bottom or sides.

What am I doing wrong?

What you describe is completely normal. The chlorine is getting used up fighting the algae. That will continue to happen until you have added enough chlorine quickly enough to kill all the algae before it grows back. You shouldn't be adding more than the amount of chlorine required to raise FC to shock level, that can cause damage. Just continue adding enough chlorine to bring FC up to shock level as frequently as practical until you aren't losing any chlorine overnight.

No, you don't want to add more algaecide. That won't help at this point and could cause annoying side effects. Algaecide is best at preventing algae from getting started. It is essentially ineffective against a full algae bloom.

new2pools said:
45 CYA (per pool store...I'm out of this chemical to test...but we did add quite a bit last year because it was so low)]

Your CYA may be a lot higher than the pool store test results and could be preventing you from even reaching shock level.

You can order refills from TFTestKits.net or sometimes WallyWorld has the 5way/6way test kit that contains the CYA test.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
ok the pool is clear now. I could not get it to get clear for anything...so bought some clarifier...that did the job.

So, clear water and no chlorine loss at night but loss during the day from the sun. Trying to raise my CYA level but that's taking awhile. I poured it into the skimmer a few days ago and have running on high...waiting....

Here are my numbers today.
FC 2
PH 7.1
TA 129
CH 84
CYA 7 (per pool store....i can see the dot with the tube completely full)

So do I need to add something to raise the hardness? Or do I not need to worry with that since my pool is vinyl AG?

How much Baking Soda should I add to raise PH? What level should I be at? Thanks!

Your pH will rise on it's own. It's only a tad low.

You don't need to add anything to raise CH. It is not needed in a vinyl lined pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.