How far is too far for hard plumbing?

If you don't use valves, if you ever have to work on the equipment you'll have to plug the skimmer and return(s) in order to open or remove the equipment because in most AGP installations the equipment is below the waterline. Even opening the pump strainer basket requires plugging the lines if valves aren't used.

I would place the valves near the skimmer and return but most people place them near the pad. Convenience is probably the driving factor as far as installing them and their location.

That makes sense about the skimmer basket. What happens if you have the valve turned off right after the skimmer and you need to work on the pump basket, like to remove the debris and you don't turn off the pump?

Also, debating I should use unions in the installation. I will be going right into the ground from the return and skimmer, over about 15 feet to the equipment.

You'll starve the pump of water, but the same thing could happen if you have to plug the skimmer to work on it. Are you thinking you'll forget to turn off the pump? You won't do it many times!

I would definitely recommend unions near the equipment. Of course you can not install them until you have to remove a piece of equipment.

You should turn off the pump before you open the basket. Dave is correct, if you manage to get the basket open with the pump on your pump will protest and you will not do this too often. To more specifically answer your question if you close the valve at the skimmer and then open the basket your basket will overflow until the water in the pipe is at the same level as it is in the basket.

Another good spot for valves is after the solar panels, if you have them. Its a PITA if you have to work on their plumbing and they drain out.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm not sure, which I why I mention it. I would probably try to rig a threaded fitting somewhere in the line where I could mount a schrader valve and pressure gauge to blow things out each fall.

I plan to hard plumb mine next year, but will likely use unions so I can disconnect everything and store indoors in the winter.

Or I might try to incorporate something like this to hook up my compressor:

http://tweetys.com/blow-out-plug-with-s ... valve.aspx

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.