McDonough, GA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
I am installing my Liquidator and plumbing on my AGP and would like your input on the plumbing. On other posts a possible problem might be the short run from the skimmer to the pump and not having enough head pressure. If I install 1 ¼” PVC pipe from the skimmer side will this help having to partially close the cutoff? Could it cause other problems for the filter system? Maybe only a portion where I connect the LQ input should be 1 ¼” PVC? I have the Doughboy molded slip on connections at the skimmer and return which I believe have the stepped 1 ¼ and 1 ½ connections. What is the best type of adaptors at these points? I'm thinking about using Flex PVC pipe with bands.

Any thoughts or experiments you may want to suggest with this set-up is welcome.

5750337821_4f343e73b7.jpg

5750434327_d5716dfc06.jpg

Re: Installing Luquidator and Plumbing on AGP

The best thing you can do is install a valve near the bottom of the skimmer. That way you can adjust it to increase the flow out of the LQ.

I'll be surprised if you don't have a problem getting the LQ to flow with the low head you have on that system.

I'd use all hard piping but that's going to be your call.

I have the Doughboy molded fittings also.
Below is a picture of how I hard plumbed mine. I don't know the name of the adapters (not a plumbing guy) but Lowe's and Home Depot carry them by the box full. I used a little silicone when I fit them to the molded barb fittings on the skimmer and return and haven't had one little leak, this is my 2nd year with them. Hard plumbing, at least for me, was wayyyy cheaper than going with the flexible PVC.
Hope this helps.

Attachments

• Photo0056.JPG
    Photo0056.JPG
    399.9 KB · Views: 700

Thank you for your suggestions and recommendations.

Would something like this work for the skimmer and return connection too?
sc36-015.jpg

Maybe. Although since the molded barb fittings are tapered, and on my return fitting it has ridges, I am not sure a compression type fitting would hold very well. I just picture it sliding off as it is tightened. Those black rubber adaptors I used are fairly cheap and seem to work. The other benefit is you don't have to plumb in unions to get your plumbing apart since the rubber gives you enough wiggle to get everything apart. That saves a little money also. Your idea would look a lot better and I would be interested to hear if they work if you try it.
The next time I have my water level down low enough, I am going to at least change out the doughboy return fitting to a regular one and eliminate that little probelm. I actually have the doughboy pump that has molded barb fitttings on it also. They make hard plumbing a pain. I can't understand why they did that with their setups.

I installed the 1/ ½” PVC plumbing and used the compression fittings at the skimmer and return. The Doughboy barb fittings are 1 1/2" and not a typical fitting of 1 5/8". I thought I was going to be able to use the 1 ¼” compression fittings which I think will work on other barb fittings other than Doughboy. I had to use the 1 ½” compression fittings and added a sleeve of clear tubing which was 1 5/8" outside diameter and inside diameter of 1 1/2". PVC plumbing is an art form to say the least. I made a mess out of the primer and glue as you can see from my pictures. The Wet and Shine (Blue) cement I used was very unforgiving and as soon as I applied it you had to shove the connector on or it would start to set up.

I also installed the Liquidator using the skimmer drain plug with a 1/4” Threaded by 3/8” push on connector for the output and a T PVC pipe with a reducing bushing and a 1/2” threaded by 3/8” push on connector on the input. The flow meter is at 5 with the valve fully open so I think it will work fine with my short runs of plumbing. I ran out of daylight yesterday and this project took me 12 hours to complete so I still have to fine tune the Liquidator flow rate.
5780282021_e1bfaaedf7.jpg

5780281825_0a6cdb13f7.jpg

5780282173_ee1d66438e.jpg

BBailey said:
I also installed the Liquidator using the skimmer drain plug with a 1/4” Threaded by 3/8” push on connector for the output and a T PVC pipe with a reducing bushing and a 1/2” threaded by 3/8” push on connector on the input.

I am not too familiar with the liquidator and this part doesn't make sense to me- do you have any pictures? I'd love to see some pictures of the actual liquidator connections.

Re: Installing Liquidator and Plumbing on Above Ground Pool

If you look at the second picture you can see the reducing tee talked about in the second half of that statement. It's in the middle of the horizontal pipe.

Input to Liquidator
5781172246_2d6a94a3dc.jpg

Output from Liquidator
5780624173_d364e8b72a.jpg

Closeup of Output into drain plug
5780624675_92371ebfcb.jpg

BBailey said:
Input to Liquidator
5781172246_2d6a94a3dc.jpg

Output from Liquidator
5780624173_d364e8b72a.jpg

Closeup of Output into drain plug
5780624675_92371ebfcb.jpg

I don't understand how you got that much head/flow from such a short run from skimmer to pump...i have been trying to accomplish that with my set up to no avail...do you have a two speed pump... and are you running your pump at maximum capacity when you get the 5 flow reading?

The only way i get the flow meter to max out at five with the skimmer valve fully open is if i run my pump at max speed...that is with the barb installed at the T in attached pic, connected to the pump basket drain and event the pump drain plug location as well...I wonder if having my flow meter at the same hight as the LQ water level has a negative effect on flow...mmm

Thanks in advance...Bo

Attachments

• Outlet side.JPG
    Outlet side.JPG
    84.5 KB · Views: 571

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

First I am not a plumber so I might be totally off base. I do have a thought and think the output of the liquidator should be put on using the clamp that came with LQ to put on at the pipe, a tap into the piping and in some cases at the pump basket. My thought is the output has to have drag accross the connection and not up in the pipe where you will have more (reverse) positive pressure in the T connection. On the input of the LQ thats what you want, so a T is the best fitting to use.

BBailey said:
I do have a thought and think the output of the liquidator should be put on using the clamp that came with LQ to put on at the pipe, a tap into the piping and in some cases at the pump basket. My thought is the output has to have drag accross the connection and not up in the pipe where you will have more (reverse) positive pressure in the T connection

BB...that makes sense...does the fitting you used at the basket protrude into the basket providing you that drag you are referring to?

If so, can you please tell me what type it is and where you purchased it...i have to give that theory a try...operating with the skimmer valve partially open or the pump at full speed is not a long term solution for me.

Thanks in advance...Bo

Here is the inside of my strainer basket
5789186380_9b1a18fa0b.jpg

This is the connector I used, you can use a straight if the have them. http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R ... key=Search

I do not have a two speed pump, are you not getting a good flow at your pump on high with the skimmer valve open?

BBailey said:
I do not have a two speed pump, are you not getting a good flow at your pump on high with the skimmer valve open?

Thanks for the link...I get amazing flow from the pump at low speed and even better at on high...that is what puzzles me...i can only peg the LQ flow meter at 5 if i run the pump at full speed or if i partially close the skimmer valve...neither way is a long term solution for me...running on high for 8 hrs a day can add up quick ($)...and partially closing the valve i would think reduces that amount of water that gets filtered in an 8 hr period...I am not and will never be an plumbing expert, so i do not know how what's happening to me is possible.

In any case...i'll keep experimenting to see what works for me and post results...If all fails...my project for the pool next year is a SWG.

Thanks!...Bo

Thanks for the link...I get amazing flow from the pump at low speed and even better at on high...that is what puzzles me...i can only peg the LQ flow meter at 5 if i run the pump at full speed or if i partially close the skimmer valve...neither way is a long term solution for me

When you partially close the skimmer valve you are creating more resistance in the flow and therefore more pressure. Too much head can be bad for a pump, but you are going to be no where near that with just closing the skimmer a little.

I see on the directions that is says to protect the chlorinator from direct sun. Is the plastic on that "dark" enuff to help protect the chlorine from loosing its potency?

The tank is translucent and therefore doesn't protect the liquid from sunlight degradation. Several people have painted the LQ tank and left an unpainted stripe so you can still see the level of chlorine in the bottom.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.