FC holding overnight. Pool still cloudy.

Dega500

LifeTime Supporter
May 13, 2010
Birmingham, AL
Things are hearting up quickly here in Alabama. I’m trying to get a handle on my pool and good use a little help.

I installed my pool last Spring. TFP and BBB got me through the summer successfully. This is my first spring startup and my water is still a little cloudier than I’d like.

Although I use an SWG for my primary chlorine source I haven’t started using it yet and have been shocking per current CYA levels. I found my pool lacking 200+ pounds of salt and my CYA was down to less than 30. After approximately a week my drop test Saturday night started with a FC level of 12 and still read 12 the next morning. The pool got up to 78F yesterday and finally was able to get in and give it a good scrubbing. The pool surfaces were relatively clean and did not feel slimy at all.

Last nights FC drop test started with an FC of 7 and measured 6 this morning. The pool is still cloudy. You can see the bottom but it’s not nearly as clear as it has been in the past.

Here are my current readings as of this morning:

FC = 6
CC = 0
TA = 80
CYA = 50
PH = 7.5
Salt = 3800

240# of Salt, 52 oz. by volume Borax and 96 oz. by volume baking soda were added yesterday and resulted in the above.

Should I continue to maintain my FC at suggested shock levels (for non-SWG Pools) for current CYA readings as they slowly rise until the pool clears? I’ve been running my pump on low speed 24 hours per day (except for 4 hours yesterday after I added the above) hoping it would clear up on its own.

Thanks,

Dega

I would keep FC a little higher than usual but not go to shock level unless things get worse. You might want to try adding a little DE to you sand filter, instructions are in Pool School. That should help it clear up the slightly hazy water more quickly.

I think I'll start running my SWG now then. I've been waiting until I got things somewhat stabilized before I added it to the equation.

I actually have a new spider gasket coming for my 7 way valve (it's funny, hasn't leaked a drop since I ordered it). That would probably be a good time to add the DE.

Thanks,

Mike

Sounds like you're almost there. Probably something as simple as switching to normal speed on your pump would speed things up noticeably if you chose. At the end of a shock process, the pump and filter become more important at clearing the pool as the chlorine (for the most part) has finished it's job.

Like Jason suggested, I like the idea of slightly elevated FC as well.

Well, you're probably right. So, putting it on "high" should increase your circulation markedly and assuming your filter is adequately sized, I think you will find it will noticeably speed up the clearing process.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.