confused...

May 19, 2011
Hardy, Virginia
Ok guys...so I shocked my brand new pool for the first time last night. This morning I tested it and the free chlorine is through the roof at 10. All the other tests came back at the lowest possible reading. I'm very new to this and don't know if this is normal or not. How long will the FC stay up like that? I wasn't able to run the filter all night because of a thunder storm/tornado watch. I did turn it on this morning. Could that be it? And what do I do next with the chemicals?

Kirsten, Welcome to TFP :wave:

As mentioned above, posting a full set of test results will help. Also do please note how you are testing the water and why you decided to go through the shock process. Test strips and pool store results are known to vary quite a bit, with a good at home drop based kit being most consistent and dependable.

FC of 10 is not all that bad if you have enough CYA in your water....the issue with your post is that we have no idea what "All the other tests came back at the lowest possible reading." means :lol:

You can read more about test kits here

pool-school/pool_test_kit_comparison

Now let's see if we can get your pool season started :goodjob:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.