To Be or not to Be

Apr 14, 2011
South Point, Ohio
My pool has been open since April and we had a pool party this weekend (8 Kids, 3 Adults) this was the first time anyone had swam in the pool this year as the water temp is still 66. When we took the solar cover off before the party we seen on the bottom of the pool in a couple of spots had what looked to be a fine brown dirt. Once everyone started swimming i noticed the spots seemed to vanish as they were probably mixed into the water. The next morning i walked out to the pool and they were back again! So i preceded to sweep the entire pool, backwashing very often. After i was finished the pool floor looked beautiful again. So as i felt like mission accomplished my wife and i leave and go out to eat. Upon our return, Hour and a half i look into the pool and those spots are back again!!!!

After reading on here i was starting to think it was mustard algae, but after reading further on the board and seeing that mustard algae does not like sun, and my spots are happening more towards the middle of the pool where sun always beats down for 3/4 of the day i am starting to think it is not. I am now leaning more towards it being pollen as i can not imagen algae growing back in this short amount of time, and pollen levels are always way high in our area. On another note my water is sparking blue and clear more so now that i am using an LQ.

Here are my levels as of this morning:
FC : 5
CC:0.5
PH:7.5
TA:90
CYA:35

I was thinking of adding a skimmer sock while brushing the bottom to see if that may help these blasted spots!! Any input or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

That sounds exactly like fine silt settling out of suspension after you mixed it back into suspension by having lots of people swimming. You need to vacuum it up slowly and carefully so you don't just mix it back into suspension again.

While I'd never say impossible, given the FC & CYA level, it's highly improbable that it's algae. I bet it's dust and pollen. I fight the same thing and I know it's not algea in mine.

If you really want some peace of mind, run the OCLT. While I don't think you need to, it'll settle your mind about it.

Well i returned from getting my skimmer socks at the local pool store and just for the kicks i took a water sample with me to get them to test it while i was there (all levels tested good). I proceeded to explain to them why i needed the skimmer sox, and the PS employee stated that i in fact had a serious algae growth going on and proceeded to tell me that i need to purchase a bottle of algaecide, a case of liquid shock, a bottle of clarifier, and a tub of chlorine tablets with strict instructions to stop using the liquidator and bleach as this is method can not be effective as they have never heard of anyone using this so called liquidator. In the end i told him " You seen my water test, and they do not lie so i will keep doing it my way", that was returned with the smart *** statement from him of "well when you pool turns completely green don't calls us."

PS Its been 4 hours since my last sweep and the spots on the floor of the pool has not returned yet.

TroubleFreePool.com = 1
Local Pool Store = 0

Well after a good slow sweeping with the skimmer sock in the skimmer and one on the return coupled with another few hours of running the pump with the socks in place the pollen has not reappeared on the floor of the pool. But i did have to rinse the socks out about every 25 min. during normal circulation, and about every 10min. while i was sweeping. Below are my final results.

Clearwater005.jpg

Clearwater004.jpg

Clearwater007.jpg

Again a big thanks to everyone for your help!

mrnick0483 said:
Well i returned from getting my skimmer socks at the local pool store and just for the kicks i took a water sample with me to get them to test it while i was there (all levels tested good). I proceeded to explain to them why i needed the skimmer sox, and the PS employee stated that i in fact had a serious algae growth going on and proceeded to tell me that i need to purchase a bottle of algaecide, a case of liquid shock, a bottle of clarifier, and a tub of chlorine tablets with strict instructions to stop using the liquidator and bleach as this is method can not be effective as they have never heard of anyone using this so called liquidator. In the end i told him " You seen my water test, and they do not lie so i will keep doing it my way", that was returned with the smart *** statement from him of "well when you pool turns completely green don't calls us."

PS Its been 4 hours since my last sweep and the spots on the floor of the pool has not returned yet.

TroubleFreePool.com = 1
Local Pool Store = 0

Regarding the pool store: How about just 'don't call us'.....ever...for anything....

mrnick0483 said:

TroubleFreePool.com = 1
Local Pool Store = 0
The funny thing is, people who do follow his instructions have their pools turn green, and then they come here!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.