Repair starite - still chugging (new ?s added on post #12)

May 22, 2011
I have a sta-rite dyna-glas 1 hp pump that's been churning/chugging/cycling/pulsating/whatever you wanna call the waves of low & high pressure when it's hooked up to the pool vac. It doesn't have nearly the pressure it should anymore. There are also various leaks and crusty lime around it in various spots.

I took it apart today to see about replacing various gaskets and the shaft seal. There was various debris in the impeller but i couldn't get the impeller off for the life of me (yes, I clamped down on the shaft in the rear of the motor). So I cleaned it out best I could and lubed various rings (didn't replace them though), and put it back together. Same thing.

I also have a cristal flo sand filter, though I don't know the size off hand (says 53115 on the handle). My pool is about 16,500 gallons.

Now I also have a hand-me-down pump and sand filter that hasn't been in use in at least 4 years, sitting out in the Phoenix heat. That's a 1.5 hp pentair pump which I believe is a whisperflo (label said 2.2 SFHP and 1.47 SF) and the filter is Pentair TR-100.

What would you all suggest, seems there are two different scenarios:

1. Repair sta-rite pump.
But how do I get the impeller off? And how do I know what a worn part looks like in need of replacement? If I take it to a pool store their parts cost an arm & a leg, but I can order them online much cheaper. But which parts should I be sure to order and replace? Meanwhile, my pool is green and I'd be without a pump.

2. Replace sta-rite with used whisperflo pump.
Can I swap this pump to use with my current sand filter? I'd really rather not wrestle with replacing the sand filter at this time. Am I gonna run into issues with a pump that's been sitting dry for so long? Is there a way to test it before hacking away at the PVC?

TIA! :-D

Re: Repair starite (impeller stuck) or replace w/used whispe

Use a strap wrench on the front of impeller while holding the rear shaft with a suitable wrench. I had the same problem with a Whisperflo pump this past weekend and the strap wrench worked perfectly.

crudsrus said:
Use a strap wrench on the front of impeller while holding the rear shaft with a suitable wrench. I had the same problem with a Whisperflo pump this past weekend and the strap wrench worked perfectly.

I did, but the strap was sliding. Granted, it's probably 10 years old? Not sure how to make them more grippy. :?

I have to work on the 2 HP Dura-Glas versions of these pumps all the time at work, and they're pretty similar. More than likely the bearings are shot and should be replaced, not too hard of a fix, and at least worth a shot. Since you mentioned leaks, I'd also replace the shaft seal too.

I'm not sure which bearings your pump uses, but you can take the old one to a local automotive store to have them matched.
Here's a link to the seal you would need: http://www.amazon.com/U-S-PS-201-Replacement-Shaft-PS201/dp/B001F0M2W8

This is the impeller you'd need if it's damaged and also needs replacing: http://www.poolpartsonline.com/p-46...rite-part-number-c105-236pb-opt-5057-08a.aspx

Here is the whole parts breakdown: http://www.poolpartsonline.com/p-59484-starite-dyna-glas-dyna-max-pump-parts.aspx

I finally got the impeller off by using two pieces of double stick tape -- one on the impeller and the other on the strap wrench. It is totally filled with lime inside. The motor works (well, it hasn't stopped, but chugs when the pool vac is plugged in), so is this salvagable? Can I just clean it out and reuse it?

Where are the bearings and how would I know if those need to be replaced?

The shaft of the impeller is covered with some lime and is kinda rough and worn. Does that need to be replaced (hoping not, cuz that's the most expensive part that I'd want to order online, the other stuff is cheap at the local pool store)?

The seal plate is also covered on the motor side with lime and seems worn near the shaft area. Can I clean it and reuse the exisiting one?

I attached a photo showing the corrosion of the motor, seal plate, and impeller.

Attachments

• DSC01439s.jpg
    DSC01439s.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 108

That thing must've been leaking bad! and for a LONG time! The bearings are inside the motor.

You WILL need to replace the shaft seal with a new one, DO NOT REUSE THE OLD SEAL!!!!

Re: Repair starite (impeller UNSTUCK!) (new ?s added on post

:oops: I was sickly pregnant last year and been barely functioning and sleep-deprived with resulting baby! :shock: Nobody touched it most of the year (DH does computers, not home repair stuff :wink: ). It's a wonder it didn't go green sooner!

Anyway, I planned to replace the shaft seal (and other gaskets), but what about the impeller?

impeller itself is just a molded plastic piece - should be fine if it's cleaned up.
That seal was leaking so bad it might have been leaking enough air in to cause chugging/etc. Clean it all up, new bearings, seal etc, and it should be fine. Best of luck!

if there's no cracks on the shaft of it, then yes you can reuse the impeller, the same for the seal plate

you can clean the calcium scale off with white vinegar or diluted muriatic acid

So replace bearings, no matter what? I'll have to look for a drawing for the motor. My pump manual doesn't go that much in detail. And for cleaning, do you think I can set that end in vinegar an inch or so to soak? Or is that side not supposed to get wet at all?

thanks all!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

I replaced all the o-rings and the shaft seal. It's still chugging and only at half the suction it should be. I have a lot of bubbles in the returns (though I had bubbles before, just seems like I might have more now)?

I didn't replace the bearings because it's not noisy, the pool store wanted $75 to do it (I didn't want to do it because I don't have the right tools), and I was hoping the suction problem was unrelated to bearings.

I had trouble getting the big seal plate o-ring to stay in there, it seemed like it was over-sized. :? I primed it. Do you think it will improve if I run it overnight?

What next? :(

Re: Repair starite - still chugging (new ?s added on post #1

It's too late to speculate on the 'getting better overnight' question.

If the motor spun good by hand and doesn't make noise when running then your problem isn't the bearings.

I don't think you've found your original problem yet. I think you moved on to the pump before you figured out if that was your initial problem. It needed repairing so no money or time wasted.

Now back to the original complaint. I think you have a suction side air leak. Is there any air in the pump basket while it's running?

A ton of air in the basket. It's only half full.

I've gone through the pool vac hose, pulling it out of the water, twisting it, and listening, and I can't find a hole. There are a couple PVC fittings leaking coming OUT of the pump and in/out of the filter, but would that affect suction? I thought return side leaks just meant bubbles in the return?

When I disconnet the pool vac (which goes in my skimmer, so I usually use a vac mate basket), and just let it skim with the original basket, it still chugs to a degree and doesn't have proper suction.

The pump basket lid is grimey and I didn't clean it when I replaced that o-ring ( :oops: never affected performance in the past). Perhaps I should start with thoroughly cleaning that?

My other thought is the two drain plugs in the bottom of the pump. Those o-rings were cracked and I didn't replace them because the pool store didn't have them. I just lubed the old ones and reused.

Or maybe I didn't use enough lube throughout? Maybe I was too extreme with the "less is more"?

You should start by replacing any o-rings that are cracked and cleaning and lubing the rest. Air in the system will affect the amount of suction you get. While you're at it, make sure the weir in the skimmer is working correctly and the water level is high enough to prevent a vortex from starting.

I replaced the o rings on both drain plugs, thoroughly cleaned the basket lid and double-checked the big seal plate o ring was properly in place. still chugging, though it chugs at a higher pressure when backwashing than it does filtering. meanwhile, the leaks on my filter valve seem to have increased.

what should I check next? the guy at the pool store said to replace the lid in case of invisible cracks.

:(

This is my filter: http://www.poolplaza.com/manuals/filter ... Manual.pdf with the valve being WC112-148A on page 13.

The spider gasket is part of part #12, the Plug and Gasket Assembly. It can't be purchased separately and is expensive. I'm gonna order it online to be cheaper, but should I replace any other things while I'm in there? What about parts #8-10 since my handle is leaking under it? And should I just replace the other o rings (#13 & 16) for good measure?

Meanwhile, my pool is a swamp. Any suggestions? Should I just keep the pump running 24/7 even though it's only going half suction? Or will that make things worse?

I also still have that whisperflo 1.5 HP pump. Would that work with my current filter? I'm about ready to disconnect the sta-rite and take it and the whisperflo into the pool shop. I think they'd at least give me a free estimate and tell me what is wrong. Or do you think that's a waste of time?

I would go ahead and replace all those parts while you have it torn down.

I'd definitely take the whisperflo and have an estimate done. What exactly is wrong with it?
What size is your filter?

Also, do us a favor and add your location and equipment to your signature.

(also in my original post) The whisperflo is a hand-me-down pump, just hasn't been used for 4 years. It's been sitting in the phoenix heat, dry all this time (I also have a bigger sand filter that was used with it). I'm wondering what is cheaper and less headache, continuing to try to fix the sta-rite pump and filter, or put in one or both of the used equipment. I know the sand filter would be the biggest pain, so that's why I wondered if the 1.5 hp whisperflo could work with my existing filter (which I figured out is a 3.1 - cristal flo t-240bp-1). My existing pump is just 1 hp.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.