In-Wall Pool Ladder

Mar 6, 2011
Getting ready for my PB to install my pool very soon so I am running close on making last minute alterations. My neighbor has a in-wall ladder in his deep end. Mine is schedule to have a traditional ladder. My PB sales guy swayed against me doing a in-wall ladder because it was another place a leak could occur and they only do it for auto pool cover customers (and believe me they tried to push every other accessory). My neighbor said he went in-wall because he didn't like the idea of the ladder rubbing on the vinyl liner and having an obstacle in the way when you were swimming.

Any suggestions on the matter? Is it worth the added price to get an in-wall ladder? Anyone have any pros/cons for a traditional versus in-wall ladder?

I don't have an in ground- so take my opinion for what you paid for it ... . .

My SIL has an inground and in 10 years has had two leaks. BOTH leaks were where the liner of her IG pool joins the fiberglass steps. She has NEVER had a rub through where the ladder hangs in the deep end.

I think the built in steps are neat. But if I were building a vinyl lined IG pool tomorrow, I would not get them. Based solely on my SIL's experience. And the fact that I look at vinyl liners like the roof on my house, ie- avoid penetrations whenever possible. Any break in the surface is a potential leak waiting to happen.

It's nice because it doesn't get in the way of a cover, but for getting out of the pool it stinks. A traditional ladder with rails is the way to go. Check the bumpers when the pool is opened for the season, if cracked or rotted then replace them.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.