Sand in my Pool

May 22, 2011
I changed the sand in my sand filter last summer. Now I keep getting sand in my pool, usually along the edges and steps. Since this makes my wife unhappy, that in turn makes me unhappy. Did I add too much sand or did I not but something back right? I've changed the sand before and did not have this problem.

Plan on taking the top off the filter tomorrow and look inside to see if I can see anything obvious.

Check for cracks in the laterals and the stand pipe. The stand pipe should also be seated correctly in the filter body. Also check the spider gasket on the multiport valve. If it is bad it can allow sand into the pool.

I don't know if adding too much sand will cause sand in the pool, but based on what I understand, it doesn't seem likely. Did you put water in the filter before adding the sand? If not, it's possible you could have cracked a lateral.

I finally got around to take apart the valve assembly and I'm in the process of draining filter to look at laterals. I attached a couple of pictures to show garbage in the collector and what looks like a broken piece on the valve assembly. This is a Sta Rite T-240BP-1. Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• 0524011716.jpg
    0524011716.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 42
  • 0524011716b.jpg
    0524011716b.jpg
    160.7 KB · Views: 42
  • 0524011716a.jpg
    0524011716a.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 42
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.