Low flow liquidator problem solved.

surgdog

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 23, 2010
Madison, MS
I had very slow flow in my Liquidator lines with a lot of WS buildup. I used dilute muriatic acid to dissolve everything including the float valves.

Then I had problem with air in lines. Found the flowmeter has a tiny crack allowing air in. Removed it from line and still had low flow.

I figured there had to be a blockage somewhere and the only place I had not checked was the inlet line on the suction side of the pump. I disconnected this and to my surprise the whole nipple was blocked with crusted whit stuff. Took a probe a cleaned it out and flow is now great.

That WS is tricky and every place has to be checked.

Now just need a new flowmeter.

Thought my problem may help someone else.

Mine did that once too, clogged the fitting at the suction side. I really need to find a solution for the WS problem. I did find out today that vinegar soak will remove the build-up from the parts.

There are threads on The Liquidator white stuff problem and possible solutions (see this thread, this thread and this thread). Basically, it comes down to 3 things: 1) having the upgraded harder with larger tubing, 2) keeping the saturation index somewhat negative (though not so much to be a problem for plaster pools) and 3) using 50 ppm Borates as an additional pH buffer.

Chem Geek, in my situation, I already have the upgraded hardware, saturation is -.06, so that only leaves borates.

Honestly, I've never measured for borates, or given it any consideration. Didn't realize there was any reason to consider it other than pH control.

This post gives some details about how 50 ppm borates limit the pH rise at the higher chlorine concentrations found in The Liquidator outlet port (I list several high FC amounts since we don't know the actual FC at that port). The use of borates helped some people, but not everyone. Note that a higher CYA level exacerbates the problem since CYA tries to buffer the hypochlorous acid level and in doing so ends up raising the pH and hypochlorite ion levels. Another factor is the concentration of chlorine used where 6% bleach has less white stuff than 10%-12.5% chlorinating liquid for some people. So basically, the ways to reduce the possibility of white stuff are:

• Upgraded hardware for larger diameters (takes longer to plug up and/or form scale)[/*:m:3r755l9s]
  • Lower saturation index (e.g. -0.2 vs. +0.1)[/*:m:3r755l9s]
  • 50 ppm Borates[/*:m:3r755l9s]
  • Lower chlorine concentration (e.g. 6% bleach vs. 12.5% chlorinating liquid)[/*:m:3r755l9s]
  • Lower CYA levels (e.g. 30 ppm vs. 80 ppm)[/*:m:3r755l9s]

Of course, some of these changes have side effects -- lowering the CYA level would usually increase daily chlorine demand so is probably something people wouldn't want to do.

I just got done reading that post! :)

After reading all the benefits, I'm pumped about adding borates. I'm going to WallyWorld and Home Depot to get my supplies tonight, and have ordered the borate test strips from tftestkits. I'm going to look pretty funny buying 30+ boxes of 30 Mule Team tonight! My bet though is that I'll buy the store out and have to visit several locations to get enough. That should give me time to get the test strips in.

I'm using 6% bleach and sitting right at 40 CYA at the moment. I have no plans to go higher than 40 on the CYA side. In fact, we are getting so much rain, I'm betting I'm lower than 40 at this point.

Here's my last full set of test numbers, taken last week, and at the time I was seeing the WS.

FC 4
pH 7.5
TA 80
CH 340
CYA 40
Temp 76
CSI -.06

As your water temperature rises, your saturation index will rise if you maintain the same pH level. So you might consider lowering the TA level some more.

Also, with respect to adding borates, note that you can use 20 Mule Team Borax and Muriatic Acid, but can also get boric acid directly though that's somewhat more expensive (though more convenient). If you are going to lower your TA level, you should probably do that before adding the borates since it takes less acid to get the pH lower for the procedure that involves acid addition and aeration.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.