Intex LED Wall Light

Sooooooo, I JUST bought an Intex LED Wall light LAST NIGHT for a surprise pool opening for my family for tonight. BUTTTTTTT the d*$*#*$(&#@(@(!@ @(*@&^## dog chewed up the power cord. Not just chewed it up a little, chewed it up to the point where I cannot splice anything together. Right off at the power converter. Because it is waterproof, they fill the cavity of the power supply with some kind of plastic so I can't even disassemble the thing and splice it. It is gone.
With a brand new LED light in the pool that is now useless, I am hoping to at least salvage part of the $50 I spent at Walmart on the light and buy a new power supply for the light. I'm pretty sure Intex won't sell just a power supply but I have looked on the internet and found several sellers of LED power supplies and wonder if they will work.
The closest one to the specs of the Intex supply is at SuperBrightLEDs.com. The specs on the Intex power supply is 9W input, 12VDC 0.6a output. The power supply that I found is a 10w input with a 12vdc 0.84a output. Is this going to be too much for the light or mess anything up? That is as close as I could find and it is less than $15 for the power supply which I can wire into the salvaged cord I have. Am I just going to have to buy a new light and eat the $50 plus a new light or can I at least spend a little more and get this light in use with a little bigger power supply?

Just to preface, I am not an electrician, however I believe that if you find a power supply that uses the same gauge wire and has a capacity = or a little greater than the original power supply you should be o.k.

Right - match voltage and amperage capacity as close as you can without going under. If you have to go over, that's OK. The main concern after voltage and power is matching the connector and especially the polarity. Most devices have their connectors configured as center-positive, but not all. There is typically a polarity symbol on the device like: - --(o-- + or + --(0-- - which refer to the outer and center conductors of the connector and indicates which is positive and which is negative.

Chiming in here late, but I don't think a conventional power supply will work. You may be able to find a power supply that will work but you're going to need to match the configuration pretty closely.

Disclaimer: I don't own one of these, so part of the following is speculation.

The inside part of the unit does not physically connect to the outside part of the unit. Their words are "magnetically coupled". That says to me that they're using a transformer to power the light and the primary is on the outside of the pool and the secondary is on the inside. It's being coupled through the wall. It's probably a 1:1 transformer but that really doesn't matter. What matters is that they're using AC power to the light and most likely converting it to DC in the inside unit. The reason for that is that DC transformers are hard to make and are usually expensive and AC transformers are cheap and easy to make.

Take a look at the transformer and see what the output is, if it says. Then all you have to do is match that. It's most likely a 120vac to 12vac transformer at some VA/watt/amp value. The amp value isn't highly important as long as you meet or exceed the original value.

Well, my wife called Intex and after much ado, they ended up giving us great customer service and sent us a new power supply at no charge. We offered to pay for it but they treated like warranty and sent us a new one anyway, no charge. That was pretty good customer service if you ask me.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.