Just starting out - first results

BigJD

Jun 6, 2008
Initial readings

FC: 3
PH: 7.2
TA: 40
CYA: 0 (not surprising since none has been added)
Temp: 65 degrees

SWCG set to 70%
Pump run time: 2 hours on high then 11 on low

Thoughts on this? I just started with the CYA. I have two socks hung in front of returns.

Do you have a reading on the calcium? It's not a problem if it is low, but it could be an issue if it is high.

The salt reading should be according to the manufacturer's specifications.

The TA is a little low but not a problem unless the pH stays low. Watch the pH and increase the TA 10 or 20 ppm if the pH goes below 7.2.

Okay we had a nice sunny day today. Test results as of 15 minutes ago

FC: 0.5
PH: 7.2
TA: 20
CH: 30
CYA: 0 (just put two socks in front of 2 returns)
Salt: 3020 (strip) 3300 (panel)
Temp: 62 degrees
SWCG: 70%

Should I increase chlorine first? Then go after TA?

What is your TC or CC? You need to see if you need to shock, which is fairly likely given you have a FC of 0. You don't want to bring your CYA up too high (30 is good) while you shock or you'll be spending a lot more on chlorine.

I wouldn't jump to shocking just yet. Until CYA get's into range you can manually supplement with liquid chlorine. My guess is that with low CYA and a nice sunny day, the SWG is struggling to keep up.

Also if TA is really 20, you may consider adding some baking soda. How did the TA come down from 40? Have you added any acid?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Good progress :goodjob:

There isn't really a better PH test, though you have some options with different tradeoffs. You don't need to get the PH exactly right, just get it in the general range you want.

There isn't much point in doing the CYA test before a week is up. You just use up the CYA reagent.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.