Setting up elecrical wiring for pool pump? (Pictures inside)

May 22, 2011
It has been several years since we've opened our pool and we've run into a problem. There used to be the following pictures setup and working, but it seems the wires have been completely torn over the past several years. Would any of this be salvageable and if so, would I just explain the situation to an electrician? I'm extremely unaware of how those outlets work and I have no idea if there's supposed to be a long wire running to the house or what is involved here. Any starting pointers would be greatly appreciated.

In the mean time, you can see in the fourth picture we just have a heavy duty extension cord running the pump until we figure something out. No one is currently swimming in it, but just maintaining the water flow every so often. Would it be possible to just throw a portable GFCI outlet on the extension cord instead?

My Pool: Above ground 32x16, sand filter, 1.5 HP and 115V pump.

Re: Setting up elecrical wiring for pool pump? (Pictures ins

If the conduit were in better shape you could splice it and pull a new electric cable... but it ain't so you're looking at trenching in a new line. Bad idea to use steel in any outdoor application. PVC is the way to go. The GFCI outlet and switch look old so may as well replace them at the same time.

As far as the extension cord, depending on the length and size of the cord, and the capability of the outlet it's plugged into, it may be an acceptable as a short-term solution. At minimum, feel the cord after the pump has been running for a while. If it's even a little warm then don't continue using it. If that box you have it plugged into is outside it should already be GFCI? It doesn't have a bubble cover so not up to recent code anyway. You might want to have the electrician change that while he's there.

I'm not sure if the outside box is GFCI which is why I was wondering if something like this might work. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000XV ... d_i=507846 . As for the new installation, what is it I need to tell the electrician I need? Is there supposed to be a wire underground from the house all the way to the pool? And then just say I need a new GFCI outlet setup for a pool? Like I said, I don't know a thing about how this thing is supposed to be setup. :(

First, make sure the outlet isn't already a GFCI, either by the breaker in your service panel or through another GCFI outlet on the same circuit. You don't want to have 2 on the same circuit. Assuming there is none at present, then the plug-in one is okay for a temporary solution.

Just tell the electrician you need a new outlet run. There are codes he'll have to follow so it may not be able to go exactly where it was before, but worst case you might have to move the pump closer to the new outlet.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.