Please help with cracked PVC fitting repair

May 22, 2011
Does anyone have recommendations for repairing a cracked PVC fitting that leads into the pool?

I've attached a photo below. The fitting is attached to an elbow on the left of the photo and the pool on the right. The crack is the vertical slit.

This is an inground plaster (diamondbrite?) pool.

Thanks

[attachment=0:1r6ahk0q]fr_24_size580.jpg[/attachment:1r6ahk0q]

Attachments

• fr_24_size580.jpg
    fr_24_size580.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 141
updated picture with notes. yikes- is concrete work really my only option? how much do you think this repair job should cost if i hire someone? thanks.

[attachment=0:jalpvxoi]fr_24_size580_notes.JPG[/attachment:jalpvxoi]

Attachments

• fr_24_size580_notes.JPG
    fr_24_size580_notes.JPG
    40.5 KB · Views: 130
Doing some googling I found a reference to using 3M Structural Adhesive 08101 (around $20) with fiberglass cloth, but I haven't found many details or stories of people using it for pool plumbing repairs for some reason. Supposedly it is very strong and works with PVC.

Another webpage that shows using fiberglass cloth:
http://www.epoxyproducts.com/pipewrap2.html

Does anyone have experience using a product like this?

The problem with any kind of patch, even a perfect one, is it could be cracked where it's covered in concrete and concrete isn't waterproof. So you need to get access all around that pipe, and if you're doing that, may as well do it right and get new pvc in there.

I also agree with major. do it right the first time so you don't have to redo it next year or next month. if you aren't a do it your self kind of guy i would definitely hire some one. you want this done right. good luck

There are things called "Pipe Extenders" that actually fit inside of the PVC and allow you to connect to another piece of PVC... I recently had to use these on a pad re-plumb because a pipe cracked about 1/4" above the concrete on the pad.

(a previous person had re-plumbed to 1.5" copper on a 2HP pump - with 2" PVC cut at ~1" above the concrete on the pad... anyone want to guess what color the "white" plaster was???).

Most people will look at you funny if you ask them if they have a pipe extender (Home Depot, Lowes, Ace, even Leslie's might). By the look of your picture, you may still have to chisel out some concrete.

If you can't find them, try calling a wholesaler - they'll know what they are - explain your problem and they might sell you a couple for cash (most will only sell to pool care/builder businesses).

Worst case, if you can't find them, PM me and let me know what the size of the PVC is, and I'll Priority Mail one or two for cost plus shipping.

- Jeff

Is there a guide or webpage that can help guide me through the process of doing it the right way?

I've never worked on a pool shell or surface.

To replace the fitting, do I need to chisel out all the way around it and all the way through the pool surface?

What specific products (cement / plaster) do I use to patch up the valve after replacement?

Thanks

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.