onewomanarmy

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 8, 2011
So we got our filter replaced (yay!) and the SWCG installed (double yay!).

Now. I tested my FC and I'm at about 6 as I fired everything up. So I'd think the SWCG doesn't need a whole lot of production right now...? Do I let it figure out what it needs to do or am I supposed to tell it to scale down production? I've got a splitting migraine right now and feel like I'm not thinking clearly. I'm sure I could think through this if my head weren't hurting so bad...or at least manage the search function. Just don't want to leave it running at the wrong level/rate through the night.

thanks
oh - also - my salt is a little high - 4200 according to the Autopilot (I got a little dumping-bags-of-salt-happy yesterday I guess). It says it's running at 55% right now.

Go ahead and give us the full panel of test results. You gave us the FC. Now we need CC, pH, salt level, TA, and CYA. Post those results and we will go from there.

Even with a salt system, water balance is extremely important for the safety of your family and the longevity of your pool and equipment. The amount of chlorine required in your pool depends primarily on the stabilizer (CYA) level. If you could post a full set of test results, there are a lot of great folks in this forum who can help you optimize your water chemistry for the newly installed Salt system.
pool-school/water_balance_saltwater_generator

The SWCG won't be able to "figure out what it needs". You will need to make some adjustments to the chlorine output % and the pump run times throughout the season based on the water test results.

In the beginning, you will need to test the chlorine in your pool every few days until you get a good idea of how the chlorine output setting of the system effects the chlorine residual in your specific pool. This will change as the temperature increases, if you have a heavy bather load, or if you have a significant amount of leaves in the Fall. As you gain experience, you may only need to test weekly or every other week.

PSG

Sorry - I'm not quite on top of my game tonight.

FC 6
CC 0
CYA 80
TA 60
PH ~7.4
Salt 4200 according to Autopilot, ~3720 according to test strips (a little higher than I intended)

The reason I asked about the Autopilot figuring out for itself where it wants to be - when I first started it, it showed 100% then dropped to 85% shortly after we fired it up. I knew my FC was going to be slightly above target range for SW pools so I went ahead and dropped it to 45% to see what kind of chlorine that would produce over night. Shortly after when I was back checking plumbing I noticed it was back up to 55%. So it seems to be doing some thinking on it's own...? I guess it's good that one of is right now... :)

Autopilot has been on for about 2 hours. Since the pump was down all day, and we have a fence being replaced around the pool (lots of dust and dirt stirred up around the pool), thought I'd let it run over night. Once we get rolling, I'll prob run it during the day and cycle the system off in the evening/night.

Thanks for all the help! :)

The AutoPilot units are temperature compensated, which means they automatically change the percentage as the water temperature changes. That is why your percentage setting has been changing on it's own.

leave it for 1 week. then check the fc see where it is at. then reduce if needed. at cya of 80 I like to run my pools at 4-5ppm fc. with a heavy bathing load 5ppm of fc will work better. target 5ppm of fc.

btw levels look really good. check CH and run numbers through the pool calculator and see what your CSI is. try for a slightly -CSI helps keep the cell scale free. salt level will come down with backwashing this summer..

Ah - temp compensation - that's what I wasn't considering.

Will check my CH - I haven't really kept too close an eye on that since the pool is vinyl.

I notice that the info on the screen cycles (flashes) off and on. Is there a way to turn that off? Sort of a sleep function like on a computer?
I haven't searched for this info yet. I may go poke around a bit and see if I can find something.

Thanks for all the information!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.