Need Help Deciding On Filter

f18fdg

Oct 5, 2007
I am replacing all of my pool equipment, new pump, filter and heater. My pool is 30years + and it has an old 60 sqft DE filter. The pool is around 20,000 gallons, kidney shaped - 25ft long, 10 and 15ft wide. I also have two black labs that love to swim and a lot of dust in the yard.

One contractor came to check out my antiquated system and suggested I use a Pentair 150sqft filter. I went to another store and he recomended a Hayward 425sqft filter but he did not come to check out the pool situation.

I am planning on getting a Whisperflo pump and a Hayward H series lo nox heater. I am not sure on the size of the filter. Pentair also makes some bigger filters. Since i have two swimming dogs and a dusty yard, which should be dusty for too long after some landscaping, should I get the bigger filter or will i be fine with the smaller one as the first contractor suggested?

I would like the smaller one since it is much easier to clean and wont be too expensive to replace the cartridges but I am afraid that with two dogs I will have to clean the smaller filter a lot. This means i should get the bigger filter but then I am afraid at the cost of having to replace all those cartridges.

Any suggestions...

have you thought about sand, sand and cartridedge both filter down to the same MICRON, so sand is VERY easy to keep, just back wash once a week and your fine.

As a general rule you will be happier with the larger filter in the long run. Larger filters reduce the frequency of filter cleaning and they typically have less water resistance so the pump moves more water. If properly cared for the cartridges should last quite a while, years. So the cost of cartridges is not generally significant compared to the other costs of operating the pool.

i vote for bigger too, i only have a 400 pound sand filter and it does alright but i could be alot better so im hoping to upgrade here in the VERy near future.

ktdave said:
Another vote for "the bigger the better" (filters, that is). I have a 11,000 gal pool with a 420 sq ft filter. LOVE IT!

ktdave,

How is your experience with your Pentair filter and pump? I am trying to decide between Hayward and Pentair for the filter.

f18fdg said:
ktdave,

How is your experience with your Pentair filter and pump? I am trying to decide between Hayward and Pentair for the filter.

So far they've worked GREAT! I've got crystal clear water and the pump runs at a low enough speed that its very energy efficient. But I also like the ability to turn the pump up if we want the bubbler higher or when I want to mix chemicals quickly.

I have no experience with any other equipment other than Pentair, but I know there are several Hayward owners around here.

Good luck with your decision.

I have a Hayward cartridge filter and no complaints. Works pretty well and I need to clean them at most twice a year so maintenance is not an issue. However, that is only true when you oversize the filter.

Here is a good site for a comparison of filter types. Generally, DE has the best filtering capabilities, then cartridge and sand is the lowest. However, if you use Zeobrite instead of sand, then a Zeobrite sand filter has about the same or more cleaning capability as a cartridge, at least that is what Zeobrite claims.

Here is another good site on filter comparisons.

My StaRite System 3 cartridge system is 300 sq. ft. of filter area for 17,000 gallons. It does a great job, rarely registering even a 1# increase in pressure. I clean it spring and fall just 'cuz I think I should. The drawback is that replacement media run $300-$400 for the 2-cartridge set. My set is coming up on 2 years of use and they still look good.

One of my dogs, a Lab mix, loves the pool and sheds hair like a purebred Lab. We also have winds that routinely blow in dust, dirt, pollen and other debris. We have no cover. I heartily recommend skimmer sox (debris shields) and a skimmer pole to get the hair and other debris out of the pool before it gets to the filter.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.