how to remove window crank handle

zea3

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 10, 2009
Houston, Texas
The exterior door handle on my son's 01 Corolla has snapped off. I have a new replacement part, but in order to remove the old and install the new I have to remove the interior door panel. To remove the door panel I need to remove the crank handle for the window. Allegedly there is a retaining clip between the crank handle and the door panel that I can bend with a screw driver and the handle pulls straight off. After much searching and swearing, I have not found said retaining clip.

Any ideas how to remove the window crank handle without damaging the car?

tool2.png

08--09-98-f3.gif

I bought that tool for about $6 @ Autozone.

Be aware that the clip is spring steel. When you get it to spread and push out, it may fly away. So do the job on the driveway, not the lawn. The clip is shaped like the Greek Omega Ω. That tool catches the ears and pushes things out. The tool is usually sold at a decent auto parts store for a couple bucks. If the handle's been off before, it may have been installed 180° off, so try pushing from both directions.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.