Skimmer Lines

ElGood

May 11, 2011
Mesquite, Tx
Apparently have a leak in skimmer line, I can valve off either the skimmer line or the main drain line. With both lines to the pump open it sucks air, with only the main drain line open I get no air to the pump, with only the skimmer line open it sucks a considerable amount of air to the pump. I've checked the lines above ground for leaks using methods described on this and other boards and found no problems.

I have never gotten much movement of water from the skimmer located furthest from the pump, I have valved off the line from the skimmers to the pump and blown water from the garden hose and 90psi compressed air betweed the skimmers. I tried pulling water from the furthest skimmer with my large wet dry vac and could only get water out after I hit the line with compressed air. After I did this the air stopped coming in for a day then resumed.

How deep are these lines to the skimmers normally buried?

Welcome to TFP!

You have presumably tried this already, but I like to rule out the obvious first. Make sure the water level in the skimmers is high enough that you don't have a vortex drawing air into the skimmer along with the water.

Pipes are typically buried around 12-18" deep, though it varies quite a bit.

You don't normally want to pressurize things above about 40 psi. The pipes ought to be good to over 100 psi, but some of the other fittings, especially the filter, are only rated for 50 psi. It sounds like ElGood was blowing out pipes, so 90 was probably fine, especially if they were not completely air tight clogged.

I did move both water & air through the line between the skimmers with the compressed air, used it mainly to see if I had any debris in the line which I did, but not a considerable amount. Skimmer line continues to pull air into the system regardless of water level and I haven't noticed any vortex in the skimmers.

I assume that since the line enters the skimmer box from the bottom that there is a double 90 to bring the lines between the two skimmer up to 12/18 inches below ground? My main concern is that my main power line to the house is buried underground along this side of the pool and I didn't want to dig down far enough to risk finding the power line.

You can't completely count on any specific configuration. Most likely the lines will come up to a relatively shallow depth and go along the edge of the pool, but it is also possible for them to dive down and go under the pool, or do any of several other things, depending on how the plumbing was designed and what the pool builder felt like doing.

The electric line is required to be at least 5 feet horizontally away from the water, so you should have some room to work in. If you are at all worried about it, the utility company should be happy to come out and mark the location of the wire.

Late update, on project. Female mini schnauzer had found the leak for me, just didn't realize it. She had dug a hole about 8 feet from the pool on the opposite side from the power line and what would have been the logical route. As I was attempting to blow debri out of the line my son saw water and bubbles coming from Tiffany's hole. Line came from the skimmer, ran out into the back yard where they installed a 90 degree fitting to take it back toward the house, problem was that the lines ran at a little more than 90 degrees, putting pressure on the fitting and fracturing the 90 across the middle of the fitting.

I cut it back on each side, heated and slightly bent a new piece of PVC to correct the angle and eliminate pressure on a new 90. Line was buried within the 12 to 18 inches as Jason said. At the recommendation of my local pool shop I added Endure to the water and had the best, most maintenance free year ever. Looking forward to this season. The dog is for rent if anyone is interested.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.