How to balance water with broken pump?

Jun 7, 2010
Huntsville, AL
Hi all,

I was wondering if any of you have good ideas on how to keep the water balanced when my SWG motor has gone belly up. It will be Tue or Wed before the guy can get here to replace it (as it is supposed to be under warranty), but we are supposed to have a pool party Thursday. It is about a 32000 gallon pool, my pH is a little high right now, and my FC is about 5.5.

Any ideas would be appreciated!

Thanks!

You need to be adding chlorine manually. The challenge is to get the chlorine mixed into the pool. One way to do that is to pour bleach slowly while walking around the edge of the pool and then follow up by brushing the entire pool to mix it in.

Is the SWG broken or is the pool pump? If it is the SWG then just add liquid chlorine in front of a return while the pump is running to keep the FC in range. If the pump that circulates the water through the filter is broken, then you will need to add liquid chlorine like Jason said, and brush the pool to mix the chlorine in well.

If your pH is above 7.8 then add a little MA and brush the pool. I would not use dry acid if the pump is not working.

zea3 said:
Is the SWG broken or is the pool pump? If it is the SWG then just add liquid chlorine in front of a return while the pump is running to keep the FC in range. If the pump that circulates the water through the filter is broken, then you will need to add liquid chlorine like Jason said, and brush the pool to mix the chlorine in well.

If your pH is above 7.8 then add a little MA and brush the pool. I would not use dry acid if the pump is not working.

Hi, it is the pool pump. I figured that I should manually add the bleach, but was unsure how the liquid MA would mix in by hand. I did drop a little pump into the bottom of the pool, just to give it some circulation. It has been unreliable and will run for at most about 30 minutes. Thanks for the input, I have added the brushing of the walls to the process.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.