What search terms would you use?

SeanB

TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
I'm working on improvig the search rankings of the site. One of the things I need to determine are what search terms are people using when looking for help with swimming pool care.

I have my own ideas of what terms I would use, but that may not be the same as others. What search terms did you, or would you use, if you needed help with your pool? These can be general terms or for specific issues.

Thanks for your help,

Sean

well i typed

pool forum- to find any type of forum that talked about pools.

what i would use now is

pool help
help with new pool
how do i take care of a pool

FWIW

"Green Pool"and "Green Water" would have to be high on the list. "New Pool Advice", "Pool Problem", "Pool Builder Problem", "Pool Leak".

Swimming Pool repair, electrical, plumbing
Swimming Pool algae
Swimming Pool ideas
Swimming Pool care/upkeep
Swimming Pool build
Swimming Pool landscaping
Swimming Pool scale
Swimming Pool chemicals
Swimming pool DIY
Swimming pool owner/builder
Swimming pool chlorine, bleach, BBB, muriatic acid
Swimming pool salt water chlorine generator, swcg, swg

Also, common incorrect spellings of these terms

I have always just searched for the specific problem I was having. The search that indirectly led me here was "baquacil red slime." People in general don't just look for a pool care forum unless they are having a problem and then they search for terms specific to their problem.

As a writer for About.com we get SEO drilled into our heads. The best you can do, I think, is to encourage good detailed "stickies" for the common issues, and make it a place where people are comfortable posting. The more posts you have, the more likely it is that that issue will come up in a search. Optimizing the "home" page is kind of a futile effort, IMO. Think of every page as a potential entry to the site and work on making navigation to the rest of the site more obvious.

Two things you can do in that regard:
  • 1. Put the "jump to" menu at the bottom of the page so when someone finishes a thread they can use it to poke around more.
    2. List some related topics at the bottom of the page, if your forum software supports this.

Attachments

• JB2.doc
    20.5 KB · Views: 2

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Some of these may have been mentioned already...

baquacil - what I searched when I found Ben's site
pool maintenance
swimming pool maintenance
pool care
swimming pool care
salt water pool
algae in pool
pool chemicals
chemical-free pool
chlorine-free pool
gross pool water
help with pool water/pool chemicals/algae in pool

I tried to google us once using several different terms and never found TFP, but that was a while ago. I am trying to remember what terms I used...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.