How can I adapt these pumps for my pool?

Mar 9, 2009
Midwest
I do have a working sand filter, however I am wanting to filter the pool faster. I don't know what my pump is rated at. I will start running it 24 hours a day obviously. I read you could add a 2nd pump, or more, to get your pool cleaner faster.

Would above ground pool filters not do much? Because I can get those relatively cheap. If I want to use one or two of them, how can I easily put them to work? Can they sit on the side of the pool, and have two hoses sticking in the side of the pool? Would they be worth bothering with? I see many are about 2000 gph, some are 1000 gph or 1500 or as much as 4000 but those wouldn't be cheap enough for me. (I might need to get a big old pump instead.)

Also I have a 700 gph pump that was used on an aquarium, and a second pump that kept up with the first, so it does at least 700 gph apparently. Then I have one or two tiny ones that are 300 gph, and a solar pump that should be a decent rating. But can I just put some kind of spongy or filter floss stuff (like in the aquarium) in the tubing and it would filter out bad Crud from the pool? I don't see how it could hurt, as long as the tubes don't get really clogged so it's wasteful. All of these put together might only do as well as my main pump, but it would help significantly?

Thanks.

whew - you have a good sized pool, I really suggest you keep the right equipment for it.

If you want to 'filter the pool faster' throw some DE in the sand filter. It helps catch the fines. I think 2-3lbs should be plenty. Cheap and effective.

check the specs on your current pump before starting to run it 24/7: with a pool that size, it may be an energy hog to run 24/7.

To clear the water really quickly the best approach is to get a full size DE filter. Adding DE to your sand filter will get you part of the way there and is way simpler. Small above ground filters aren't going to run enough water through and they tend to be fairly bad filters to begin with.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.