Ph a little high, TA very low

May 12, 2011
Opened couple weeks ago, no swimmin yet, still a little cool, trying to get a handle on taking care of the water.

My Ph is just a little high, looks like 7.9ish, and TA is very low, like 2ppm. Should I bring the Ph down a little first, or bring the TA up a little at a time first?

I know I can get to both, I'm curious how the order you do these things affects the big picture. It seems like I need to get some TA going before adding something to lower Ph, but I wanna know the right way to go about it, if it matters.

Thanks

How are you getting your test results? TA should result in increments of 10 so 2 ppm wouldn't be a valid result. Are you sure you don't have 20 ppm?

Correct your pH first and then raise your TA with baking soda.

There are many ways to do this. I would bring the TA up to perhaps 40 first. Then adjust the PH just a little low. Then raise the TA further. That will give you more control. With TA really low it is very very difficult to adjust PH without overshooting your target level.

257WbyMag said:
How are you getting your test results? TA should result in increments of 10 so 2 ppm wouldn't be a valid result. Are you sure you don't have 20 ppm?

Correct your pH first and then raise your TA with baking soda.

Yes, 20ppm is what I meant. Just using a regular drops tester, only took two drops to clear up on the TA test.

Thanks Jason, I will bring the TA up a bit first.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.