Can’t I just lower my PH by adding some muriatic acid?

skos

Aug 17, 2010
I am fighting an algae problem. I am keeping my water chemistry in check. My local pool store is telling me that a lower PH will allow the chlorine to be at a higher level, is that true? Here is what they are telling me.
Active Chlorine pH
97% 6.0
91% 6.5
76% 7.0
66% 7.2
50% 7.5

I do not plan on swimming any time soon and it is going to rain all weekend. Can’t I just lower my PH by adding some muriatic acid?

Won't this help me fight the algae better?

Thanks in advance.

Those numbers are only true when your don't have any CYA in the water. When you are using CYA, the active chlorine level mostly has to do with the CYA level, and only changes a little bit as the PH changes. The change with PH is small enough that you can just ignore it as long as your PH is in the normal range. When PH is way out of range there can still be some issues.

Muriatic acid is the preferred way to lower pH. Before you do this though, post your test results for your pool water so we can see where you're at.

It depends on what kind of pool and equipment you have. Vinyl can be damaged by long term exposure to PH below 7.0. Copper heat exchange coils in most pool heaters can also be damaged below 7.0. Plaster pools can be damaged by a combination of low PH, low TA, and low CH, so low PH may or may not cause problems depending on your other levels. Fiberglass is also at some risk, though PH needs to be lower than that before there are problems.

Also, you don't want to swim when PH is below 7.2.

drop the pH with acid. down to 7.2-7.4 appearently chlorine is more affective at lower pH levels. not sure how much more but it is a good idea not to have high pH when shocking.

FC shock will kill algae. make sure its enough..depends on CYA level. bleach is the best method although the more expensive shock than say calhypo which is cheaper but leave residue and can cause other problems..so best use bleach..generic.unscented. so basicallt drop pH with acid then shock, backwash, shock until clear.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.