How Much A Foot

May 4, 2011
Can anyone give me a good ballpark estiamte on how much a custom island should cost per foot?

I have a company come out and they gave me the impression that the base cabinet and coutertop work out to about 550.00 a foot. I belive that also includes electrical.

Does that sound right to you?

Do you have an IKEA near you? Will the cabinets be exposed to the elements? If you have an IKEA, and they will be out of the elements, you might consider doing the cabinets yourself. I remodeled the kitchen in my last house and did all the cabinetry with only the help of my wife. It was easier than I imagined! All I had to do once I had the cabinets done was have the granite people come in and do the countertop. You could order your countertop from IKEA also, if you wanted something less expensive than granite.

House.jpg

I have before pics too if you want to see what I started with :)

For outdoors or indoors? A kitchen cabinet/island is nothing more than a box with some doors or drawers. That price seems a bit high but then if you looking for some custom carpentry, molding, and exotic woods then that is about right. You can save a lot more money buy buying pre-fabricated cabinets at your local tile/kitchen/bath remodel center. Or in my case in my old town home, build your own, or find a used one, and just reface the cabinets with Oak/Maple/Cherry veneers. I did my whole ugly oak kitchen for $2700 including granite ($500 for maple veneer and 1"x2" and 1"x6" & hardware). Just refaced the cabinets and made doors from a sheet of 4x8 maple plywood for the big doors and 1x6 for the drawer fronts (flip the drawer around and attach new one on). For the top cabinets, I used 1x2" and a sheet of 1/4" maple plywood and my own using a dato blade.

Attachments

• after.jpg
    after.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 1,289
  • before.jpg
    before.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 1,288
Here some pics during the build. It was not hard at all, just time consuming. But if you want to save $$, i recommend this way. Super easy, it's peel and stick!!!!

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 1,285
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 1,284
Kid,

Are you talking about a BBQ Island built out of steel framing and Hardiebacker?

If so the prices I'm getting in Southern California are:

"Professional" shop prices:

Island Skin (Steel and Hardie only) - $175 LF - I don't think that included electrical or gas, but I'm not 100% sure

Complete Island (Steel, Hardie, Porcelain Tile, Stucco) - $230 LF - I think this does include elec and gas, still not 100% sure

Then a guy I found on Craigslist with prices down as low as:

Frame and Electrical: $75 LF
Frame, Elec, Hardie: $95 LF
Complete Island (no equipment, porcelain tile and stucco): $185 LF

I'm still checking prices, but I hop to start on mine next week.

I am talking about a BBQ island...not an indoor kitchen. :-D

Your numbers sound much better than what I was quoted. I was getting quoted about 550.00 a linear foot which I think is extreme.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Mike,
I'd like to do something just like that. If you don't mind my asking what make/model grill is that. I've been looking at the following models:
- CalFlame G3 or G4
- RCS Junior 26 or 32
- Napoleon Mirage or Prestige

I'm leaning toward the RCS b/c it has stainless burners (not cast iron). I'd like to keep this under $1K and I think I prefer the 4 burner models for those rare occasions when we're entertaining larger groups like July 4th, baseball parties, Labor Day, etc. The wheeled charbroil grill we currently have isn't gonna cut it and it looks downright ridiculous near the pool. :oops: Your example looks very clean and it looks doable in a weekend. Any guidance you could give would be greatly appreciated.

Napoleon 36" has a rotisserie and searing burner. we like it. I had to re place one burner tube, i think they are SS.

a weekend is possible, that kitchen is like 4 ft x 13 ft. I basically made it so i would have no cuts except for the grill opening. i made the top out of wood, its shot. I am now doing one in concrete. Dont use alot of glue on the blocks in case you ever want to take it down and if you use those heavy blocks make sure you have a good base.

moved the kitchen back 4 feet, made it less wide ( about 3' instead of 4") but now have a overhang for a bar. Made the top of concrete w/ colored glass and fiber optic lights embedded. Put the kitchen on a 7 x 14 ft slab and covered that with ceramic tile that looks like wood planking and put up a sunsetter awning..

Attachments

• patio2012.jpg
    patio2012.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 794
  • patio stools 2012.jpg
    patio stools 2012.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 793
beaulook said:
Where did you get those blocks and what is the process of building with glue?

landscape/ hardscape company either "techo block" or another brand name. Just lightly glue ( they have a glue just for block at lowes) and stack, very simple. In fact i did not even glue the first 6 courses or so since the are so heavy. With my concrete top you would need a sledge hammer to move them

I browse around TFP all the time and drool over some of the beautiful pools with waterfalls, slides, colored lighting, etc. So for some reason when I read your post I thought of an island in the middle of a large pool. I guess this place has me thinking anything is possible!

crek31 said:
I browse around TFP all the time and drool over some of the beautiful pools with waterfalls, slides, colored lighting, etc. So for some reason when I read your post I thought of an island in the middle of a large pool. I guess this place has me thinking anything is possible!

or at least a swim up one....

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.