New to Pool School and New Pool Owner...first time on forum

May 19, 2011
Hardy, Virginia
Hi all! I'm so confused... After a lot of research my family and I decided to use chlorine for our 15x30 oval above ground pool. We installed the liner and have the water half-way full. I've ordered the chemicals, I've ordered the Taylor k2006 test kit. My water test showed that EVERYTHING is too low. I've got well water. So where do I start? Do I shock the pool first, do I throw in the tabs first?? Help!! Soooo ready to say forget it and use baquacil.

thanks all!!
Kirsten

Re: New to Pool School and New Pool Owner...first time on fo

Welcome to TFP :wave:

Have you read some of the recent baquacil threads here :shock:

Anyhow...keep filling the pool, hook up the pump and get circulation going. You can then test the water and post up the full test results here and we can guide you further. Adding a few cups of bleach each evening until we get things balanced would not be a bad idea either. You will likely need to add some CYA and chlorine (liquid). Tabs are OK but they eventually raise CYA to be far too high.

You should read pool school (link in my sig) if you have not already done so.

I have read the pool school, I'm just not sure I completely get it. I'm confused because if you use regular liquid bleach, or even bleach sold as pool bleach, eventually you need a stabilizer right? And if you use tabs, then you end up with too much CYA. Seems like with the liquid I'm going to be putting it in the pool constantly, and with the tabs I'll end up ruining the water quality by raising the CYA. Also, can I turn the pump on when the water isn't up to the jet yet?
thanks for your help. When I get home I'll look up the pump and filter numbers and post them on here. All I know right now is that I have a hayward pump and sand filter.

You need to add some CAY/stabilizer one way or another. We recommend adding some at the start of the season if your starting level is too low. Tablets add CYA constantly, and eventually the level gets too high. When using bleach, you do need to add more once a day.

You shouldn't run the pump until the water level is about an inch above the bottom of the skimmer opening.

If you water isn't high enough to start your pump, continue filling until you can start the water circulating.

After the water has been circulating at least an hour, post a full set of water test results like this:

FC - Free Chlorine
CC- Combined Chlorine
pH - "acidity" of the water
TA - Total alkalinity
CH - Total Calcium
CYA - total Stabilizer

Also, describe what your water looks like when you do your water test (clear, cloudy, green, black, etc.)

You'll get some really clear direction in steps you need to take at that point.

-- Pete

Start by adding a few cups of liquid bleach until you can post your water test results. Depending on your skimmer and weir (flapper) design, you may need a higher level of water, like half way up, r it may cavitate the pump. Purchase some CYA (stabilizer/conditioner) and pour it in an old tube sock, hang in front of the return jet to dissolve. You may have metal in your well water, so do NOT add a lot more bleach, or any form of chlorine or perform a shock treatment until you know or just add about 4oz of sequesterant before chlorine. Pool supply, Home Depot, Menards and other pool supply merchants carry this. Do not buy the kind for spas, it will leave a residue.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.