possible scaling

May 2, 2011
I have an 18x36 vinyl and i think i am having a scaling problem. i have a rough feeling on my walls, feels like sandpaper. my pool stor reccomended scaling and stain remover. i just wated to get you guys 2cents. i dont have all my pool #'s on hand. it also is very milky and cloudy looking. i am thinking about flocking it tommorow. any suggestions?

That does sound very much like a calcium scaling problem. You really need a full set of test results to figure out how to correct the problem. I wouldn't bother with flock. If it is calcium then flocking won't help, and if it is algae flocking won't help.

Finally gaot a min to get a sample
Ph 7.0 andded some ph up last night
TA 82
CYA 23
FC 2.3
TH 125

I also added 1 cup of DE to my sand filter to help and filter out some of the fine particles and my pool store is still recommending that i FLOC the pool tonight so all the Crud will fall out and i can vaccum.

So any suggestions on the Scalling problem?

If those numbers are right, which I have some doubts about, then there is no suggestion of calcium scaling or calcium clouding. Your PH/TA/CH levels are low enough to actually remove calcium scale from the walls.

Floc will usually get everything to fall to the bottom, at which point you need to vacuum it up to waste very carefully so it won't get stirred up again. It is a lot of work, drains water from the pool, and doesn't always work. If you are in a hurry, and have a multi-port that allows you to vacuum to waste, then go for it. I would wait and let the filter do it's job.

Have you tried scraping the roughness off the walls with a fingernail? If so, does anything scrape off and what does it look like?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.