Questions on Deck around AG pool

Jun 21, 2008
Central MD
Looking to build a deck around mine finally.

Need to rebuild it first though. The plan is to tear it down at end of season, clean, inspect, and replace any rusted/ broken / needed parts. And reassemble. The main reason for this is to move the pump and filter to the opposite side of the pool so it is not right under my bedroom window any more. And I need a new liner anyway.

My questions pertain to liners / decking / skimmers.

1) I am thinking about changing from an overlap liner to a J-hook and then running the decking right over the top rail. This way, I figure I can easily replace the liner should I ever need to, without removing the decking. My only concern is if the pool mounted part that the liner hangs from is plastic. If it is and gets busted up, I will have to remove the decking and top rail anyway to fix it and might as well stay with an overlap liner. Does anyone know if either Aluminum or stainless hanger is available?

2) If I mount the decking under the top rail, I am worried about tripping. Does anyone have a deck built this way and if so, does it present any problems?

3) Finally, I have a Doghboy pool with their proprietary skimmer shape. I would like to go to a standard skimmer to avoid expensive DB parts and their goofy vacuum setup. Only problem is, the hole is already cut larger than a standard skimmer. My plan is to cover the hole with plate aluminum (it will be under the deck where it won't be seen) and tape the edges. I will attach with rivets and will likely line the walls with foam- adding another layer of isolation. I would then cut a new skimmer opening. Does anyone see any problems with this plan that I haven't thought of?

4) I asked in another thread about Gorilla Pad in a dished pool. Does anyone know if it can be done? Online info/ tech support/ contact is nonexistant. I went the the website and followed the contact us link, but it really led nowhere except to a site to set up my own drop-ship pool supply website.

I'll be curious about the answers to your first question. I built my deck over the top rail and have a beaded liner

done-agp-deck-solar-t17243.html

I'm hoping that the bead channel holds up for that first liner change (which I hope is some time off).

As for the aluminum plate - is that section of the wall aluminum (to avoid galvanic corrosion from dissimilar metals)?

First off, are you talking about a beaded liner? J hook can be used as a beaded or over the top. We have a J Hook, used over the top. I havent heard of non plastic materials for a beaded channel. Perhaps you can have someone fabricate it? if you live where it freezes, decking under the rail is riskey due to frost heave, also a risk if decking is over the top and either pool or deck move up, down. We chose to build even with the rail and left a gap for maintenance ease.

KJ- thanks - I followed your build (last summer I think?) and enjoyed the pics. The pool wall is steel. But i didn't think there were galv. corrosion problems between aluminum and steel?

Mom- thanks for the thoughts about frost heave, didn't really think of that- and it does freeze here.
Do you have any closeup pics of your deck- particularly where it meets the edge? I would be interested in seeing that. My woodworking skills are decent, so another option I considered would be to build to the edge and somehow create a tapered piece to ramp up to the level of the top plate.

I am referring to something that mounts with a bead receiver-either J hook or beaded- so as not to have to remove the top plate.

I will look for other pics but i am sure it is posted on here already from a few years ago. We put a hinged bridge piece on so it can be folded back for maintenance. My decking is composite.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.