Opening a Bromine pool with no pump

May 17, 2011
West Michigan
We opened our pool this Tuesday and went to fire up our pump only to find it seized up. So after researching I found a replacement pump (Sta-Rite Super Max 1.5 HP 2 Speed). I ordered it today but it will take 3-5 business days to get here. So in the mean time I have no circulation in the pool.

I have been adding fresh water to bring the water levels up to where they need to be. But I am worried about my water turning into a green blob without having any circulation.

Last season (our first pool season in this house) we used Bromine in our pool. According to another thread I started I cannot convert a bromine pool over to chlorine short of a complete drain. But I was informed I can use chlorine to help boost my levels when needed.

So should I go ahead and use some chlorine to shock the pool and keep the levels high until I get the new pump installed? If so what levels should I shoot to maintain?

I just purchased the TF-100 test kit in anticipation of converting over to chlorine before I found out this is not possible. Will this kit still be useful for a bromine pool?

I realize I am all over with my questions and if I should direct some of them into different sub forums please let me know. I am new here and I am not quite sure on the posting etiquette as of yet. :oops:

I would like to take this time and thank all of you for a great and informative website. You all will certainly make my and all my swimmers summer much more enjoyable!! :party:

You can add chlorine to boost the bromine level, but you need to do something to mix it in thoroughly. I suggest pouring it in while walking around the pool and then brushing the entire pool to mix it in.

cheesehead said:
I just purchased the TF-100 test kit in anticipation of converting over to chlorine before I found out this is not possible. Will this kit still be useful for a bromine pool?
Yes, you can use the FAS-DPD chlorine test for bromine. Just multiply the chlorine result by 2.25 to get the bromine result. Maintain about 5 to 7 ppm at all times.

JamesW said:
cheesehead said:
Yes, you can use the FAS-DPD chlorine test for bromine. Just multiply the chlorine result by 2.25 to get the bromine result. Maintain about 5 to 7 ppm at all times.

Thanks! :goodjob:

Taylor also sells R0872 which you can use to perform the FAS-DPD test, but what JamesW suggested will help you use up the R0871 you have in the TF100 for now :goodjob:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.