New pool and calculated to many gallons and put to much....

Mar 30, 2011
Tempe/AZ
So we are finally moved into our new house and it had a pool here already. It's an older home with a large older inground pool. I used the pool calculator to estimate approximately how many gallons this pool had. It's a free form pool and the measurements i got were this.

35ft long
23ft at it's widest point
3ft in shallow end
9ft in deep end
6ft average depth
plugged all this into the pool calculator and i gave me 31,000 gallons.

The other day I did a full week test using the TF-100 and my FC was at 1.5 and it called 289oz of bleach to get my FC up to 6 with 31,000 gallons. I put in the exact amount of bleach it called for and checked my levels the next day and my FC was 7 which in return meant my estimated gallons were off. My TA was 280 and my PH was 8.2 so the pool calc called for 336oz of muriatic acid to lower both the TA and get the pH down to 7. I figured to get my TA down to the 100 mark I would have to cycle through lowering pH down to 7 then raising it and then lowering it to 7 until TA is down to 100ish, is that the correct steps to do this?

Here were my readings from the test on 5/16 I did
FC 1.5
CC .5
TC 2
pH 8.2
TA 280
CH 200
CYA 53

Today I checked everything and pH is still 6.8 and FC is still 5+ via the Taylor K1000 test kit. My pH has been 6.8 for coming on the 3rd day now. Is it safe to keep it here or should I raise it up a bit or just let it naturally rise? Before I added all this acid, my pH would rise quite fast. I was putting a small amount of acid in every few days because my TA was so high. I'm trying to lower the TA so my pH doesn't rise so fast.

After doing some calculations i'm guessing my total gallons is around 25,300. I will try using this as the starting point in pool calculator to see if my numbers are spot on moving forward. I surely know it's not 31,000 gallons.

I live in the desert of AZ and my pool temp currently is around 80. It'll start to increase as the days are getting longer and hotter. Should I just keep everything the way it is and keep the FC 5-6 and naturally let the pH rise back up to 7.5ish?

Re: New pool and calculated to many gallons and put to much.

You can aerate the pool to encourage the pH to rise more quickly. If you have any water features such as fountains or waterfalls you can let those run to raise pH, or you can point the returns up so the flow breaks the surface of the water.

Re: New pool and calculated to many gallons and put to much.

I'm worried that your PH is actually lower. The standard PH test will read any level below 6.8 as if it was 6.8. I suggest raising PH until it is just above 6.8, and then continuing to aerate. You need to be careful about making large PH changes all in one step, as it is fairly easy to over shoot.

With CYA around 50 you want to keep FC between 4 and 8 and never below 4.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.