Brown stains started showing up a few weeks ago

May 19, 2011
I am having the same staining problem in Florida. We built the pool 5+ years ago and it had a salt chlorinator. Never had any stain problems. The salt cell broke and I haven't replaced it yet, so I've been shocking the pool. The brown stains started showing up a few weeks ago. I first thought it was dirt on the bottom of the pool. But it didn't come off when I brushed it! I found a term online - dirt scale. Is anyone familiar with it? Pool stores in my area don't know what I'm talking about. I put Jack's magic Metal Plus in the pool today, went to Home Depot and bought pvc piping, poured murianic acid down the pipe over one of the stains. After scrubbing it did seem lighter. This will take several hours if done this way. Any other suggestions?

It is fairly common for calcium scale to incorporate dirt or metals in with the calcium and thus be a color other than white. There isn't any standard name for this. I've never heard of "dirt scale", though as soon as I saw it I knew what it must mean.

Once you have calcium scaling, there is no easy way to remove it. Keeping the PH on the low end and adding a sequestrant optimized for calcium can help soften it, but it still takes work to remove.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.