What is this chemical??

poolbee

LifeTime Supporter
May 22, 2007
WNY
My pool was officially opened yesterday(H2O-60 degrees-brrrrrrr!) Anyway, I checked the skimmer baskets after it was on a while and found one filled with something that looked like white lava rocks inside. I imagine it is something dissolving into the pool but what is it? Usually they leave the empty containers for me to dispose of but this time they didn't so I have no idea what it is. Any ideas? I was also ****** to fine they didn't shock the pool. They always used to. My FC was .5 today and it was crystal clear when we took the cover off. But I digress.

Thanks!!

I have a salt generator. They shouldn't be putting that in the pool. They were not puck sized. They were much larger with all irregular, jagged edges. There was not a smooth surface on them. I thought they were some sort of crystals or something. They are all dissolved now. Strange.

They could have been cal hypo sticks. Even with a swcg they would have still had to put some chlorine in there to get the FC up some so the swcg could take over. swcg's aren't good at starting from zero FC.

One of the reasons we advocate maintaining your own pool is so that you'll know what goes in it and why.

I do all the maint. of my pool except opening and closing. As a matter of fact no one else in my family has a clue how to do it-not even DH. I gotta fix that. In all past years they have shocked the pool, added algaecide and a clarifier. Never what looked like hunks of broken concrete in the skimmers. My FC was .5 and CC 1 the day after the opening so I don't think it it was any chlorine and water was crystal clear when we took the cover off. Anyway, I was just curious as to what it may have been.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.