Trichlor Pucks. 3 vs 1 inch.

Thinkly

Oct 12, 2009
Overland Park, KS
I prefer to treat my pool with Chrlorine pucks and am fully aware that isn't the method most choose on this forum but it works for me. Regardless, I have always been told by the pool store to use 1" tablets in the inline chlorinator instead of 3". They claim the 3" takes too long to dissolve.

I am skeptical of this claim and think maybe they just prefer selling the more expensive 1" tablets. Still I buy most of my 1" tablets from Leslies online. However I am considering going with 3" this time to try and save $.

Will it be a waste of $100 or should I stick with 1" that I know has worked in the past? My pool is only ~10000 gallons and I simply can't figure that 3" wouldn't be adequate.

3" pucks are just fine in most situations. Occasionally, when you are right at the limit of how much chlorine the chlorinator can add it is better to use 1" pucks because they dissolve quickly. But that is only important if you are right up against the upper limit of what the chlorinator can keep up with.

Given equal amounts, 1" pucks will dissolve faster, because they present more surface area to the water. You could get the same effect by breaking up 3" pucks into smaller pieces by wrapping them in several layers of newspaper and whacking them with a hammer.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.