Test kit question

Oct 2, 2007
DE
I am planning on doing a conversion from Baq to BBB before I close up for the season.

Some background is:
we inherited this pool in January when we bought this house. We really like it but it has been a headache and extremely expensive.When we opened it there was a container of Baquacil in the shed, so we assumed that is what we were using and went to the "pool store" to get some direction. We promptly emptied our wallet- and went home to work on this new venture. We were instructed to use test strips, which have never agreed with the pool stores findings. I took the water to b tested weekly until I got used to what I was suppose to be looking for. Every week I openedup my wallet for them to rob me again. My DH told me just stop going to the pool store- Well I wanted a safe pool for my children so I started to check on line for cheaper chemicals. While trying to find some cheaper chemicals,
I wandered into Pool solutions and read so much- but could not post. Iwas so excited to see there was a way we would be able to keep the pool. (I had spent close to $700. in about 3 months)

I finally found a link to another site and then someone directed me to this site that has more posters.

My question is this:

I have never tested water before (except those Baq test strips that are $10 of worthless)

I was going to order Dave's kit- but when I was on www.lesliespool.com I saw a test kit that was $46.99 .
I need to order a new winter cover and also a brush and I am already paying that shipping charge- oh excuse me the handling fee. Is this one compatible with what I plan on doing- the BBB conversion?

I will order Daves kit with extra regeant- if you all say it is exactly what I need

Ohh here are the specifics that I will put in my signature in a minute:

18x33 AG vinyl, we are told 15,000 gal., Hayward DE filter, Turtle Polaris,

Thank you all so much for all the help

I like Dave's. The only kits I know of that will do what you need are Dave's and the Taylor K2006. The lesser kits won't measure the high chlorine levels you'll need to do the conversion.

Depending on your weather, you might be better off converting in the Spring while waiting for the water to warm up.

Blessed,

The kit you saw on Leslie's will not measure the high chlorine levels you need to test for. As John said, your two best options are the Taylor K-2006 or mine.

The kit I produce will give you more test chemistry than the Taylor K-2006 and I think it's a better value for your money but either kit will do the tests you need.

Thanks-
that is exactly what I wanted to know.

Off to make my orders--
I know that in the long run it will save me money.

OH yeah-- how warm does it need to be to do the conversion?-I live in Delaware and it is suppose to be in the 70's and 80's for the next week.

Would you advise me to wait? It is a little cruddy(green growing on the walls in a few spots) in there now. I haven't put in any Baq for about a week and not much at that. I pulled out our steps a few weeks ago- those big fat plastic kind. and I did have some sort of pinkish moldy stuff on thse a well. I powerwashed them and it was really hard to get it off. So althought I don't see any of that kind in the pool at the moment- I don't want to give it chance to develop.

Thanks

If your Baquacil level is down, you can do it now or wait. It will get really ugly during the conversion, and you'll be full of doubts about it, but it will clear up. The long term forecast is pretty warm for the middle of the country, so I'd guess it would be up there too. I don't know of any temperature issues with the conversion.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.