Fence around top of AGP, any options not white?

May 13, 2009
Mn
It has been a year and I am one step closer to getting our neighborhood association to approve an above ground pool. One of their sticking points is the white vinyl safety fence around the top. They want any color besides white. We don't need a fence for code as long as wall height is 48 inches. I just want it for added safety.

My husband is open to the idea of fencing around the outside of the pool but seems sort of silly to have a 48 inch fence around a 52 inch pool, kwim?

Do you know if there are any other options, like using deck fencing with the vinyl fencing hardware?

Also will a 15 x 30 be big enough? I applied for a 18 x 33 but they said it is too big and aren't willing to let us go that big. I'm a fighter(this has been a battle for over a year) so if it's worth it,I'll make my case. I want to swim laps, but will three feet really matter? I don't believe so.

We have a 15x30 and I feel it is plenty big enough for our family of four and friends. We chose not to get the fence around the pool, I didn't like the way it blocks the view of the pool, it seems harder to monitor kids while in the pool when I'm not, and I've heard it can be annoying when vacumming and putting on/taking off the pool cover.

We have a fully fenced yard and saftey ladder. Have you thought about the saftey fence around the ladder only? Or, are you concerned about the whole pool area?

My neighbor has the fence around the whole top, that is where I noticed it is harder to monitor the kids, she complained of the same issue. I do know that she has an aluminum pool and her fence is a light grey not white. So, if you really want the fence you may be able to find that.

If code and the HOA dont require the fence on the pool skip it for all the reasons mentioned. For safety you can get a swing up key lock ladder or a deck with locked gate. Either way, looks better and easier, safer to see kids.

So what I am reading is that the fence, sold as a safety fence around the top of the pool is not really the best idea. Don't you worry about a child climbing into the pool when you aren't home?

We cannot have any wood fencing or privacy fence,they want us to have the wrought iron looking kind for a sleek look. I don't want to fence my entire yard because it is about 7000.00 plus then the kids can't play in the yard without me out there with them. My one child would be the one to find a chair or bucket to stand on so she can climb up and put a frog in the pool. I fear she would fall in. She knows how to swim, but not how to get out of an above ground pool.

I have thought about a six foot fence just around the pool area itself about 4 feet away so I can get around the pool to clean, but it doesn't take up the whole yard.

It seems they will no way let me have the 18x 33 so I will have to learn to enjoy the smaller size. Less water to heat I suppose!
Thanks for the input so far. I'm so worried about safety when we are at work during the day.

I'd love to do a deck around it too, but I'm scraping together everything I've got just to put this thing up with heat.
Thanks!

MNPoolDreamer said:
So what I am reading is that the fence, sold as a safety fence around the top of the pool is not really the best idea. Don't you worry about a child climbing into the pool when you aren't home?

Not at all...there are quite a few grown-ups who I would bet would have a hard time climbing up a 4ft AGP wall. The fence you mention is only a code requirement if the pool is partiall sunken or you pool wall height is less than 48" or code would require a higher barrier.

We had our two little boys who climbed trees, jumped off the hayloft, over and under electric fence, on top of farm machinary during the same time we had our round pool. We had a swing up/locking safety ladder (with padlock) and never once so much as an attempt or cause to worry about our boys climbing into that pool. BTW, believe me, if you have to worry about your daughter getting something to stand to get into the pool, I'm afraid the fence on top really isn't even a foolproof deterant either - just more costly than a safety ladder. When we got the oval pool, the deck with locking gate went on.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
zea3 said:
I think the 6' fence around the pool is a better option. That way the pool equipment would also be inaccessible to the kids.

True that. Amazing how interesting those buttons, toggles and valves and switches can be to little people.

zea3 said:
I think the 6' fence around the pool is a better option. That way the pool equipment would also be inaccessible to the kids.

I think so too, this way in a few years if you have the money you could at least use the sections purchased towards fencing the entire yard if you wish or take it down after your children getting in are no longer a concern.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.