Gritty Deposits all over

ewsb

May 26, 2007
Northern VA
Pool Size
We have had the pool for 2 months and have had a SC-48 for a month. Suddenly the entire pool surfaces have become rough and the pool cleaner (Polaris 380) is collecting grit - about a cup a day of this white type sand. It can be brushed off the pool surface (needs to be a steel brush) but is adhering to everything. Salt is ar 3200ppm. What can I do. I am very worried as it will be clogging the pipes - like heart disease.

Can you post a full set of test numbers? That sounds like calcium scale depositing, but it is impossible to be sure without some test numbers.

Check your PH right now, and if it is high you should lower it as soon as possible.

It could be several things.

If it is a new pool, did you brush it daily for the first few weeks? It could be calcium dust from the plaster.

Also, it could be scale if your numbers are off. Post your water chem levels and maybe someone can help.

Sean,

What is your calcium hardness level?

The rough surface is most likely (99.9% sure) Calcium scaling. This is typical for new pools.

It is imperative that you keep control of the pH level to prevent this from happening. At this point, as Jason said, drop you pH levels now! Keep extra acid on hand as you will need to add some just about EVERY DAY! Along with this, you will need to brush the walls to keep the calcium controlled and to brush down the "cream", which is some of the plaster and calcium rising to the surface as the finish cures hard.

At this point, as you are able to brush it down, it's not quite solidified onto your surface...yet.
Keep your pH low, about 7.2, to control this. Once you see your acid consumption reduce, the plaster should be mostly cured and you can adjust your pH to a higher level (7.4 - 7.6), if you so desire.
However, I would recommend that you go a little lower for a few days to dissolve the calcium back into solution. 6.8 - 7.0 would be ideal, then increase to 7.2 until cured. Keep brushing your pool, although I think you should go to a nylon bristle brush after a few days, so you don't mar the plaster with the stainless steel brush.

In the meanwhile, check your cell as it may have built up calcium scale on the blades as well.

PH corrected.

Sean Thanks

I have corrected the PH - The pool company had forgotten to add any acid. They are repolishing the entire pool but I am concerned with the scale that may have built up in the equipment - pumps etc.. Is there anything I can add to the pool to help this. I have a number of very expensive pumps in the system. (The 10HP unit cost a fortune and I think it is beginning to have a slight 'squeal')

Thanks
Sean

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.