Pool Builder- questions???

tatertot09

LifeTime Supporter
May 4, 2010
Lenoir City TN
So, looking to do an inground pool build, have been talking with a few different pool builders. I spoke with a guy from Southern Ohio Pools... is very push and is talking about wanting to sign a contract before we even meet? Says he works through PayPal, says the pool for a 16 x 32 Pool kit and install would run 22,500. does this seem odd? He stated he had a cancellation in the schedule and we are looking to build so we can still enjoy some of the summer. says he wants half up front- I can not find him on the BBB or anything? The website is southernohiopools.com please give me some feed back as to if I should even take the time to meet with him

I would not provide a pool builder 50% of the cost of the pool NO MATTER WHAT! I don't even know if it's legal to ask for that much. It's a SCAM. Stay away! I've been scammed once with Paypal. Look at their address and do a google map to determine where it is and look at what is there. If they don't have an address, why would you even consider them. If it sounds too good, it isn't good!

I did a google. It looks like their address is legit. Go visit them and talk to them. Their phone number looks legit also. Go visit some of their pools they've built.

Beware of the high pressure and a signed contract to meet is ridiculous. He should be working for your business, not the other way around. Before we built we met with many builders and none employed these tactics. Many were even willing to send us to locations of builds and our contractor even took us on tours to several current and past projects after our intial consultation - WITHOUT ANY COMMITMENT TO USE HIM! He was willing to spend whatever time was necessary with us to earn our business. And no, he wasn't the most expensive of the group either. I would continue to look.

I currently have no hassle consultations with about 4 pool builders scheduled right now- over the phone all of their estimates run about the same 24-27 for the pool trying to get quotes for the same pool. we have a corner lot so it eases install. at this point the meet and greet and reputation is going to seal the deal for us! So very excited!!

Welcome to TFP, Tater!!

High pressure sales tactics are only used by companies that are desperate for $ :x

If you're dealing with a pool company, and they use those tactics - stay away! There have been quite a few stories here about a PB 'going under' (i.e. going out of business) in the middle of a build, leaving the customer with a 1/2 finished pool and nothing to do but pay more $ to get another company to finish the project :grrrr:

20- 30% up front is reasonable - they need to buy the materials to build your pool. Then a schedule of payment v.s. work done is also reasonable (I call them "cuts"). They should reflect the amount of work done and the amount of work to be done before the next 'cut' is due. (the cuts should be in 10 - 15% increments). ALWAYS save the last 'cut' to be payable 30 days after the pool is fully completed and the pool used for 30 days! (this gives you a month to use the pool and see if there are are any issues :wink: )

tatertot09,

We are 30 min from Cincinnati and are about to start a build for an IG VL 18x36. We started having trouble with the original PB we had chose so we said no thanks and moved on to contacting others. By far, the most up-to-date, polite PB we have dealt with has been Brian from http://www.rileyspoolsandspa.com/

So much so that we went ahead and signed with them and should be starting within a couple of weeks. I have absolutely 0 worries now about the installation because I trust them 100%. It ended up being that he is a friend of a friend and we didn't even know this to start. I would highly recommend to call them and talk to Brian. They are working on a pool in Lebanon right now so chances are if you aren't too much farther away from Cincy than Lebanon distance then they would be interested. I don't work for them of course but was just so impressed by the low-pressue polite consultation they do I thought I'd let you know. They realize it is a major investment and would never even think to close a deal even during a first face-to-face.

PM me if you have any questions.

FYI - Their standard modern pool they build uses all 2" plumbing, Intelliflo and CCP 420 filter.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.