Fastest way to add large quantities of CYA?

Apr 19, 2011
Birmingham, AL
My CYA levels are currently 0. According to the Pool Calculator, I need to ~7 pounds of stabilizer (I'm using 100% Cyanuric Acid granules).

Right now I've pour a bunch of in to a sock and dropped in in my skimmer, but seems like that could take days to add 7 pounds worth of the stuff.

Is there a faster way to add the granules?

bk406 said:
There is liquid, but it's pretty expensive. 1 gallon puts 30 ppm into 10,000 gallons of pool water. But it runs ~$30 a gallon.
I had to buy $40 worth the the granules for this go around, so sounds like I'd need about $60 worth of the liquid. For the time saved no having to keep going out and refilling the sock, sounds like it might be worth it.

There's really not any reason to hurry. I personally prefer putting it in a sock in front of a return. The return blowing water on it seems to dissolve it fairly quickly. If it takes a few days to get the full amount in there, it's not going to make that much of a difference. I wouldn't spend the extra money on the liquid either, for the same reason.

Just put it in the sock, let it dissolve and add more when it's empty. Caring for the pool is going to take some patience.

-- Pete

You can use as many socks in as many places as you like. One in front of each return and in the skimmer (if that doesn't restrict your water flow) is fine. Some people like to massage the sock occasionally, which can help it dissolve more quickly, but it's not necessary to do that either. You can just put the socks in and let the CYA dissolve on it's own.

After 24 hours, treat your pool as if the CYA is all in there. It may take a week for it to fully register on the CYA test and you don't want to add too much.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Shpigford said:
Is there a faster way to add the granules?

Hey Shpigford,

Fellow Alabamian here! Just hang it in socks in front of the returns and if it's not dissolving fast enough to suit you "massage" it a little after it's soaked a while. That'll get it going a little faster. I use an old poly hunting sock. It's a little thicker and I will probably hold up better.

Good Luck,

What's your water temp?

Dega

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.