New liner install.

Molson

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 15, 2008
Midland, Ontario
Hey folks, been a while since I've posted here. Our liner was showing its age (23 years) last year, brittle above the tile line, stretch holes in the corners, etc. We decided when we closed that we would replace it in the spring as we didn't want a catastrophic failure when full.

Empire Pools came out and measured and ordered the liner, install is set for June 1-3.

In the meantime I've pulled out most of the liner (save money if I get rid of it myself) I'm leaving the coping for him to remove. Here is a crappy cell phone pic of the liner out.

The walls and concrete floor look like new, considering the pool was built back in 1988.

[attachment=0:2kbebxnb]IMG-20110505-00071.jpg[/attachment:2kbebxnb]

Attachments

• IMG-20110505-00071.jpg
    IMG-20110505-00071.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 493
Unfortunately I do not know the manufacturer of the old liner, it was fairly thick, and the installer said it was high quality, so I'm guessing 12mil? you can see the blue colour of the underside, the water side was mostly white from fading. It will be different going to a darker blue liner. :)

That pool looks very well built. I'm guessing it was covered most of the year? That's one of the (few) benefits to a short swim season... the liner is covered and protected from UV so tends to last longer, barring other physical or chemical destruction.

Thicker than 12mil then. :) I have no idea.

Hey Ted! Good to see you.

The reason I left the rest attached is if I break the coping when removing it, I am replacing it. If he breaks it, he is replacing it. I watched him remove a section of coping, and it didn't like to cooperate. I may get adventurous, or I'll just leave it for him.

MajorDIYer, you are correct, the pool is covered for the winter Oct-May, and with a solar cover in the summer most of the time. I also assume that assisted with the longevity. It was also a bromine pool its whole life. I'm switching to SWG this year.

Here's the pool while it was draining. I will take as many pics as I can during the install.
[attachment=0:1d0yogmr]pooldraining.jpg[/attachment:1d0yogmr]

Attachments

• pooldraining.jpg
    pooldraining.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 433

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Here are some pictures I took with my blackberry. I'll have a time lapse, and better pics up soon. All went well, liner went in without a hitch, SWG plumbed in and ready to go. 5.5 loads of water @ 3000 gal each. My pool volume is a LOT smaller than I originally thought! Only 16,000 gals.

Attachments

• pool1.jpg
    pool1.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 227
  • pool2.jpg
    pool2.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 226
  • pool3.jpg
    pool3.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 226
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.