Water Level is High / Timer Question

Easto

Jun 27, 2010
QUESTION 1

The winter safety cover just taken offf, the water level in the pool is a bit high by about 2-3".

I thought that I need to by a submersible pump to pump some of the water out. I was on the phone with my dad who also has a pool (I have a cartridge filter, he has a sand filter). I was telling him that I needed to remove some water and had to get a pump. He was telling me just to pump it out to waste.

I don't have a dial at my pump like he does that allows me to backwash (don't need to) and pump to waste, etc.

Does this make sense? Are these dials non-existent with cartridge filters? Is my only option to remove water a sub pump?

QUESTION 2

My pool equipment is controlled from a box at the side of my house. I have to go switch the breakers on/off to turn the pump on and off. I would like to get a timer installed so I don't have to manually shut it off all the time and not have it running 24/7.

The equipment is all hardwired into the electrical box outside. I have a limited amount of knowledge in electrical. The most technical electrical job I have done is a toss up between (a) installing a ceiling fan (b) changing a light bulb :D

Can you guys suggest a good timer to buy so I can call an electrician to come install it.

Cartridge filters don't have a multiport or slide valve, so pumping to waste isn't an option with that. However, some of them have a hose bib in the discharge piping that you could use to pump water off. If yours has one of those just use it. You could also use the drain cap on the filter as a way to pump water off too. A pic of your setup might give us more ideas.

Bama already said most of this, but:

Cartridge filter systems hardly ever have a waste setting. They will often have a garden hose spigot attached to the pool plumbing somewhere on the equipment pad. You should be able to hook up a garden hose and open the spigot to let water out while the pump is running. Remember to turn off the spigot before turning off the pump, or you will have to prime the pump again.

The Intermatic T101P3 (115 volt) and T104P3 (230 volt) are excellent basic timers that work well with a swimming pool.

Easto said:
How do I know if I need a 115volt vs a 230 volt?

I have a feeling I should take some pics of my pool and equipment for future posts.

You can look at the breaker that controls the pump. It will be a double breaker if they wired it for 220V.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.