Running electric this weekend - what should I be considering

Jan 11, 2011
Kansas City, MO
We will be running electric this weekend to the pump/filter for our new above ground pool, andwant to be sure to run any other lines at the same time? What else should I be considering? Another line for electric for radios low volltage-lighting etc? Speaker wire? Any other ideas suggestions. We are planning on building a deck next year so want to think ahead!

Re: Running electric this weekend - what should I be conside

Your best bet is to run a sub panel out to the location and then feed whatever you need off of that. At very least I'd run 2 or three circuits out to the location.

Agree with both posts. Even with a subpanel, If you want switching at the house for pool controls or landscape lighting, you'll want that planned for with conduit. Outdoor speakers are a nice future option.

Thanks for the great suggestions. I really don't know much about electric and am having my father help me, so I have some basic (and probably ridiculous) follow up questions.

1. When I run the conduit for the pump/filter, can I run another line for additional outlets in the same conduit? What is the benefit of running an extra line of conduit now? Wouldn't I still have to dig up the conduit (must be buried at least 6") again down the road when I run more wire?

2. What exactly is a sub panel and how does it work?

3. When running speaker wire, does it needs to be enclosed in conduit too? Does it need to be in a run of conduit by itself? In general, is it most common to run speaker wire from a stereo/receiver inside to speaker around the pool?

Like I said before, I am not knowledgeable in electrical issues but my father is. I'm just trying to educate myself before we start the project this weekend. Thanks!

The limitation on running electric cables in a conduit is the size of the conduit. The good thing about a conduit, particularly if it is buried, is the protection it offers the cable. It protects the cable from the elements and you or someone else if you dig into it. I would run a cable big enough to handle the load of three or four circuits. If you need to change or add a cable in a conduit you do not have to dig it up. You just pull the new cable. A sub panel is a smaller electric panel that has it's own circuit breakers. You tie into a circuit breaker in your main panel and run the cable in conduit out to the pool and into a sub panel. Then from the sub panel you run to outlets or equipment. You do not have to enclose speaker wire in a conduit, but it does have to be rated for outdoors. It sure would not hurt to have it in it's own conduit which would protect it and prevent interference from the electrical. Someone more knowledgeable than me may have some different thoughts. Be sure and let us know what you do.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.