Hayward S240 O-ring replacement

May 18, 2011
So after opening the pool this spring, I noticed water was leaking at a pretty high pace from the upper bulk fitting going into the filter. After a little more investigating, I see part of the O-ring outside the bulk fitting. So I'm going to change the O-ring, any tips/tools that would make the job easier? Thanks

Not 100% sure where you mean. Are you talking about where the top connector to the multiport goes, or the black "hat" on the top of the filter? If it's the black hat on the top of the filter, Hayward makes a plastic wrench that fits over it that makes in MUCH easier (in my opinion) to get it off. My only other input is whatever o-ring it is, clean the area well and use silicone lube (like Jack's Magic Lube) to get a good seal.

-- Pete

Welcome to TFP!!

We're talking about the fittings that the multiport screws onto, that screw into the pipes inside the filter?

If so, you will probably have trouble changing the o-ring, unless you drain the sand :cry:

However, there is often a way around the problem :cool:

Please confirm that we're on the same page and, if possible post a pic of your plumbing into the filter (what I want to see are unions on the pipes entering the multiport, but if they aren't there, I might still be able to help)

(I work til ~ 7:00 pm tomorrow, so please be patient :) )

Waste, it sounds like we are on the same page. Here's a picture, the o-ring is between the body of the filter and the similar colored fitting (not the black one it looks like I'm pointing to). Does this change anything?

Thanks for the help!

Looks like were talking about the bulkhead fitting. It's supposed to seal where it passes through the filter body, it's strange that yours pinched out - unless someone was playing with it last year. :?

However, though it's supposed to seal inside the wall of the tank - it will also seal to the outside of the tank :) You'll need to remove the multiport to make the fix, but you won't have to fully unscrew the bulkhead fittings. Once the multi is off (out of the way) unscrew the bulkhead fitting a couple of turns - what you're looking top do is create a gap between the nut and the filter body enough to put 2 new o-rings on and then you make your seal on the outside of the tank. You'll need to have 2 o-rings that will fit the pipe going through the tank body (any of the S200 bulkhead o-rings S200Z1-Z5 ought work - why they make 5 different ones, I just don't know but get 2 of the same). Once they're unthreaded you can gently stretch them over the nut and they'll tighten on to the pipe. Carefully retighten the nuts, you want decent pressure on them but don't want to have them 'pinch out' like your current one.

The reason for doing both is so that the multiport will attach evenly to the filter. If you can't get the bulged (bad) o-ring back inside the filter, cut it and remove it so it won't interfere with the new seal you're making.

The reason for not fully unscrewing the bulkhead fittings is that the receiving pipes may shift and not stay lined up and sand could get in the threads.

If you were thinking of replacing the sand, it would be preferable to have the o-rings where they belong and would be easy to do without sand in the filter, but I'm thinking you don't want to replace the sand, just to fix an o-ring :cheers:

If I've been unclear in this or if you have any questions about what I've said here - all you need do is ask! :-D

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.