new numbers

May 19, 2008
gulf coast of Texas
We got the water sparkling clear in our intex pool...but there are several...LOTS of spots on the bottom where there are little dips..I guess where sand has sunken in and the liner lays into the sunken part, and algae is clinging to it for dear life. Also, it stayed green for so long thru winter in to spring, that from the bottom edge going up the sides is stained from algae and very "sandpaper" feeling. I have brushed and brushed. The bottom and sides cloud up the water, then I run the filter all night and its clear the next morning. I shocked it tonite and will see how it looks. But my question is, is there an easier way to scrub the liner??? I have arthritis in my hands and tendonitis in my shoulder..so brushing a 24ft round pool is not easy for me. I feel like I'm getting no where. I made the kids get in over the weekend and told them to just rub the bottom with their feet to help rub it loose too. I feel like just buying a new pool.

Re: Theres GOT to be an easier way!!!

Please do as crook suggested and post the #s. I'm thinking the 'sandpaper' feel is calcium depositing on the sides :(

With a 'moon surface' bottom, you'll need to manually brush those divots to keep algae away :evil:

I bought the Wall Whale Brush and it works GREAT on the walls, but is a PITA on the floors (where Julie's problems are). Maybe I wasn't using it correctly, but I bet there's a reason it's the WALL whale brush :wink:

When you shock, are you using a powdered shock product, or some sort of liquid chlorine? I ask because that powdered shock product is likely cal-hypo which will add CH to the water which will build up over time if you are not replacing water. Or even if you are if the replacement water is high CH.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

I had/have the same exact problem, I found a pretty effective way of clearing out the divots. My wife got in the poll with a pool brush, I stood outside with the vaccum pole. She told me where to put the vac, and I sat it there on the bottom but on it's side with the intake to the vac head facing her. She then used the pool brush to brush out the divots and push the stuff directly toward the vac head and it sucked it right out so it didn't cloud up the water and resettle into the divots. Worked great!

Some years ago, someone here posted something for a round AG pool I thought was ingenuous.

They said the whole family gets in the pool and "runs" around the outside all in the same direction as fast as they can go. This creates a circular motion which brought virtually all debris to a small center spot where it could be easily vacuumed.

Make something for the kids to eat that is not "good for you" and they'll probably keep it clean all summer!! :mrgreen:

yep, they usually do that! LOL I just need to shock the heck out of it and have us ALL get in there and start scrubbing all the divot areas. Just not looking forward to it. Tried on my own and its just too much area for one person to cover without it taking DAYS to do.

Added what I had left of liquid chlorine which was 6 gallons of bleach. Did a chlorine test and it raised up to 5. No where near enough for shock level. Will get more bleach tomorrow. At least it has some chlorine in it...even though it won't last...its better than nothing. Already told the kids we are ALL getting in it this weekend and to be prepared to SCRUB and vacuum!

here are two pics taken today. don't mind the leaves...those are from this mornings thunderstorm. Didn't think we'd have a pool left with golf size hail in town. but we were spared. there is fresh algae growing I can see..but I'm talking about all the darker areas.

Attachments

• pool.JPG
    pool.JPG
    222.7 KB · Views: 89
  • pool1.JPG
    pool1.JPG
    184.8 KB · Views: 89

I have a similar issue with the 'pockets' on the bottom from shifted sand beneath the liner. A redo this year won't happen despite that it's gotten worse.

I've yet to find a good brush myself. One recommended two years ago for vinyl didn't last long. Bristles fell out and ended up in my filters.

What I've done in the past is put socks on my feet and hands and work the bottom and walls that way. Works pretty well and white tub socks are cheap.

This past winter I purchased a Libman wringer mop with two of the heads that are cloth strips for my kitchen floor. Love them, they are machine washable. I've decided to sacrifice one of the mop heads to see if it works being out of the water, rather than in it. We'll see how it holds up.

here are my new numbers tonite...had the kids in the pool all afternoon scrubbing while i was at work. Got home and changed out the DE in the filter and shocked the heck out of it at sundown.

FC 19
CC 2.5
TC 21.5
TA 130
CH 370
CYA 0

What do I put on my agenda tomorrow beginning at what time? I guess I'll need to vacuum to waste first??

Added stabilizer this morning to a stocking and hung it in. I had the stabilizer for a few days, but forgot to put it in till I saw it this morning. Hope I didn't hurt anything. Got in the pool this evening with tube socks on and brushed and foot scrubbed, then vacuumed. going to do it again tomorrow. starting to see a little light at the end of a long tunnel.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.