Am I leaking from the Liner, Piping, backwash or ??

Oct 3, 2007
We moved in to an old place [23 yrs old] with a 16 x 32 [22,000 gal] pool. Somehow during the

day the water dropped to 6 inches. I was thinking the pool had a leak but when I filled it up

again today [with all 3 skimmers on - top, bottom and side jets] the water fell to only about 1

inch or so... where is the problem actually. Also behind the yard there were quite a lot of sand

[obviously I think from the Pool [hayward] filter. I did not see the sand initially coming. I

had an algae problem and backwashed a few time and also did a rinse for over 2 weeks. Pool is

getting more clearer now to almost as before, I went under did the "dye" test and remained still

but could not find the leak. I may have missed some but in the night I saw no bubbles etc coming

up. I check all the skimmers, piping, etc but nothing amiss. What is happening? Is it a liner

leak, piping, or when I was running the Barracuda G3 all day 24/7 for the past 7-8 days straight

that caused the leak then? It is an inground pool. I topped off water at 7pm and by the next day

after coming back from work at 4pm it drops to about 1-3 inches in a 16 x 32 [22-23,000 gallons]

and the top skimmer is sucking in nothing. It has controls for Backwash, along with rinse,

winterize, etc.

Welcome to the forum.

Shut off all your equipment for a day and carefully measure your pool level in the AM and PM. It should not drop much more than 1/4". If it does, you have a leak in the pool.

If it doesn't drop, turn on your equipment the next day and see if it makes any difference. Leaks can be tough to find but without a systematic, logical approach, they can be impossible.

I will try now before I leave for work in 10 mins time. BTW I noticed sand [about 2.5 or less sand on the back of my yard... I think is mine... since I know sand is being used for the filter. how and why is it there?

But why I saw like 1/3 or 1/2 inch thick of sand at the back or the yard... somehow I think the piping is there for Flush to Waste? It could not be lateral... as there is no sand in the pool but about 40-50 away out of the fence.... a little wet/ damp white sand.. like those in a beach was found there in my yard? What is the problem with the filter then?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.