Vacuum and Water Pressure

May 8, 2011
First post. A friend of mine asked me to care for her pool so I took the challenge thinking it would be easy as my own pool. Anyhow, I've searched the forum and have been finding some good stuff here but can't find exactly everything. I will do my best to explain.

The pool is 17,500 gallons with a gunite surface. Hayward Sand Filter and a 1 1/2 Hp Pump. 2 Skimmers 1 Main Drain, and 2 return line. The pressure gauge on the filter stays at about 10 psi. There is very little suction in the skimmers and very little water being returned. It feels as if I could put my hand on the return and I could stop the water altogether, that is how weak it feels. The baskets on the skimmers as well as the pump are empty of debris. There was a space at the top of the pump basket that was air. I ran the backwash until the site glass was clear turned it back to filter and the basket was full with no air. The suction and and the return was still the same. Both skimmers are controlled by one valve and the main drain by another.

So, I wanted to try and vacuum. I turned off the main drain and hooked up my vaccum hose fully primed to the skimmer. I vacuumed for 2 mins and then the suction was gone and the pump basket was full of air with very little water coming in. I looked at the filter and the psi was up the 30. I shut it off and then ran the backwash. Then started again. Same thing, 2 mins and suction was gone. Thinking I could "rob" some of the pressure from the other skimmer I placed a tennis ball to block off the return and that did add some more pressure, but still could only vacuum for 2 mins until all pressure was gone. PSI was back up to 30. I did not find any air leaks around the pump lid and it appears to be sealed good. Please give me a easy fix. :-D

I checked the impellar and it was clean. I noticed that once the vacuum stopped air bubbles started coming up from the return jets. Also, they don't have any of the eyeballs screwed into the returns, not sure if that would play any role in the issues.

waste said:
You might try checking the pump basket to see if it's overfull -and the same for the skimmer basket.

If you have a 'recirc' setting on the multiport, try putting the valve in that position and see how th e suction and return flow is.

All baskets were empty. I did the 'recirc' for 5 mins or so and there was no improvement. She said the sand filter was just installed last year.

There has to be an obstruction somewhere, was the skimmer basket in place when you were vacuuming and what sort of stuff were you vacuuming?

How does the pump run with just the main drain open?

Do the 2 skimmers share a common line to the valve or is it a 3 way valve with each skimmer having it's own line into the valve?

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm trying to think my way through the possibilities.

waste said:
There has to be an obstruction somewhere, was the skimmer basket in place when you were vacuuming and what sort of stuff were you vacuuming?

How does the pump run with just the main drain open?

Do the 2 skimmers share a common line to the valve or is it a 3 way valve with each skimmer having it's own line into the valve?

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm trying to think my way through the possibilities.

With just the main drain open nothing changed in the ammount of return pressure. The skimmers do share a common line. As far as vacuuming, just a lot of dirt. All the leaves were scooped out before vacuuming. I tried running a 25 ft. snake in both skimmer lines but nothing was found, but it's possible that it's just further up the pipes than I could reach. Whatever it is, it is making the pump get hot.

Try getting a garden hose with something like a Drain King, or a wrapped up rag, to seal it to the inlet pipe inside the pump skimmer basket and run water backwards through the skimmer pipe to try and flush any obstruction back towards the skimmer. When doing this, turn off the main drain valve.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.