First Time Cleaning Cartridge Filter

ktdave

LifeTime Supporter
May 8, 2007
Katy, TX
I didn't need to (no pressure increase), but I was just curious of the process of cleaning my filter cartridges. I have a Pentair Clean & Clear Plus, 420 sq. ft. filter. I was able to disassemble and clean the cartridges no problem. I thought I had reassembled adequately even putting silicone lube on the O-ring. Now the pool is cloudy and there is a slight leak where the cover sits on the filter body. Is this just a learning curve here? Does it take that precise of placement to get it right? Also, why did my pool cloud up?

I'm sure I can correct these issues, I just wanted some input from those experienced.

Thanks!

Dave,

Not familiar with your Pentair but in my case, there is a tension band that wraps around the filter. I am sure yours is similar. I snug up the band and then tap (either with a wrench or a rubber mallet) on the band all around the filter. This tends to help snug that thing up. Tighten a little, tap a little..... I too had leaks the first time until I learned the secret. Has not leaked since. Good luck.

Dave

I cleaned my filter (same filter as yours).... I didn't use any silicon, but I did tighten/tap/tighten/tap, etc....

it worked.

Of course, I did this AFTER my pb's pseudo-plumber had assembled it (and it was leaking.)

I guess you're quallified to be a plumber for Louisiana'a Ken Corner's Professional Pool too!!

just kiddin'..... I know you read instructions... so you'd never make it with him.

If it still leaks after about 2 days, I'd open it, wipe off the oring, the seat, and do the tap and tighten thing again.

You installed that flowmeter yet?

still swimming? we swam this past weekend. Lesson: Don't swim with your cellphone in your pocket.

i see my pool is about 82 right now. seems like my heater increases the temp by about 1 degree every 15 min's or so.

steve

Steve,
Haven't done the flowmeter yet. Got a few "honey-do's" in front of that project.

My water's been hanging in the 83-86 range w/solar cover on overnight, so we're still swimmimg every other day or so. I did kick the heater on last weekend to get to 88 on Sat. Went from 84 - 88 in about an hour.

Thanks for the advice guys. I'll try the tap-tighten-tap technique when I get home.

Anybody else have their pool get cloudy after cleaning cartridges? It did clear up after running pump full blast for a couple hours.

I took out the plug at the bottom and sprayed everything down on the inside of the filter. Everything seemed to flush out through the bottom.

I just used a hose with a brass "sweeper" nozzle to clean the carts., no soaking or detergents.

was the water your "sewer water" that might be why, i was told your supposed to soak the cartridge in bleach for an hour or so after you cleaned it all up.

stevenbrla said:
I don't know what RT has against swimming in sewerage water...

geez.... mine is salt, so its slimy already.

no im kinda jelous, i mean i would love that price, to fill his pool cost less than my average monthly bill pool or no pool. :? 8)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I too recently cleaned my cartridge filter for the first time and experienced cloudy water for a few hours. My manual noted this is normal with a cartridge filter as it takes a short time for the filter to develop a coating that will once again catch the debris that moves through. Sounds like your cleaning went "by the book."

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.